Author
Topic: Font Error

Jesse.Stevens

All the fonts are messed up in the VDL Template 7.0a. If I input a text for "cresc" it shows the incorrect font*. I have tried adjusting the font in Sibelius but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

I have uninstalled Sibelius completely and updated it with the full installer. I have also checked other Sibelius files and the font works on there. I have also opened the template itself and had the error. It is definitely a template problem.

Jesse Stevens

*Picture attached

Hugh Smith

Hi Jesse

Quote from: Hugh Smith on September 24, 2011, 01:28:22 PM
What OS are you using?

The only thing I can remember that was causing problems with fonts was a Mac OS update. Otherwise here are a couple of threads that might help.

http://www.tapspace.com/forums/index.php?topic=3980.0
     http://www.tapspace.com/forums/index.php?topic=3392.0

Let me know how you get on.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

Jesse.Stevens

I am running Windows 7, the latest Sibelius and VDL.

This error only occurs on scores with the template style imported into older scores and the actual template file itself.

Hugh Smith

Hi Jesse

I am unable to reproduce what you're seeing. Please send me a file so I can take a look. (Sent you a PM.)

Also, for clarification, you are using Sibelius 7.1.3 and VDL 2.5.5?

Hugh
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

Hi Jesse

OK, I looked at the file and initially didn't see any errors, like the image you attached above. It then finally occurred to me that you were/are using Expression Text (ctrl + e) for that "Cresc" text. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with this in the score? Is it just for the reader, and/or for playback?

Expression Text uses the "Opus Text" font. You can change this to a different font if you'd like, though keep in mind that it would change ALL uses of it. The current setting is set that way because of a request to do so - and is not likely to change. Using "Cresc" or "cresc" as Technique Text may not function as desired since this term is already defined in the Dictionary with some sound ID changes applied. Plain text may be the way to go if playback is of no concern.

Now, if you are looking for playback to go along with it, then you'll most likely need to create a new Staff Line that will look and perform the way you want. This can be based off of the already existing Crescendo staff line.

Answering the questions above will help me to give better possible solutions if what I've just written does not suffice.

Let me know.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

Jesse.Stevens

I am writing the percussion parts to an already existing score, but it has to look semi professional since it is for Jacksonville State University Chamber Winds.

The problem is that all the Expression Texts are messed up. Texts like "pocco", "dim", "marcato", "subito", etc are messed up the same way the "cresc" is. I also see this error in the "Line" notation as well for "rit", "accel" and "gliss", etc.

Hugh Smith

Hi Jesse

What method are you using to insert all those into the score? And/or, what Sibelius Text Style(s) are you using for them? I'm having quite a difficult time reproducing everything you're describing. For example, all the Staff Line items I inserted displayed as expected.

I want to help you get to the bottom of this, but you are the only person I know of right now that's having font issues.

Oh, I just thought of this: Have you imported a previous House Style into these files that originated outside of the Template?

Hugh
Hugh Smith

Jesse.Stevens

For expressions I am using Ctrl + E. The lines I am using the shortcut L. They even appear on the actual template files themselves.

When I import a different House Style then the font is normal and everything works but not for the template.

I have been looking into what could be causing this problem here are some observations I have found.

When I open a default "Concert Band" score from the new file menu the font styles for the "cresc" and "dim" expression texts are Platinum. I then opened an older Sibelius 6 Template 6.0b and noticed that the font for those expressions were also different. The new VDL Template 7.0a is making all the texts Opus variations thus creating the noteheads instead of actual letters. Could this be a problem in the template itself that I received or Sibelius importing the wrong fonts?

Hugh Smith

Quote from: Jesse.Stevens on November 06, 2012, 10:10:27 PM
When I open a default "Concert Band" score from the new file menu the font styles for the "cresc" and "dim" expression texts are Platinum. I then opened an older Sibelius 6 Template 6.0b and noticed that the font for those expressions were also different. The new VDL Template 7.0a is making all the texts Opus variations thus creating the noteheads instead of actual letters. Could this be a problem in the template itself that I received or Sibelius importing the wrong fonts?

Yes, I addressed this previously:

Quote from: Hugh Smith on November 05, 2012, 06:51:04 PM
Expression Text uses the "Opus Text" font. You can change this to a different font if you'd like, though keep in mind that it would change ALL uses of it. The current setting is set that way because of a request to do so - and is not likely to change. Using "Cresc" or "cresc" as Technique Text may not function as desired since this term is already defined in the Dictionary with some sound ID changes applied. Plain text may be the way to go if playback is of no concern.

Jesse, can you give me a list of items you're seeing as displaying incorrect fonts with their respective method of input into the score? For example, "Cresc" => Expression Text, "rit." => Staff Line, etc.

Or, send me another file with examples of each of what you listed above.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

Thanks Jesse, the files you sent contained enough information for me to find what I was after.

One of the things that puzzled me about this was the input method you are using. I suppose there is no wrong way to input some of these items into the score, but I believe that what you're inputting with Expression Text is usually input with Technique Text (or possibly some other method). I think this is why I have not heard of anyone else saying there was a font problem.

The Staff Lines that were displaying wonkily have a default text assignment of Expression Text and the similar lines (rit. vs rit., etc) have a default text assignment of Tempo Text (which I see is set to Plantin MT Std). I'm assuming here again that other people are using the Staff Line versions that have the Tempo Text as default.

Now, with that said, I see two options for remedying this:

1) Change the input method for the various elements that are effected by the Expression Text setting.

2) Or, probably the easiest way for you to get all the fonts back to the way you want them is to change the Expression Text font to Plantin MT Std. And once you do this in your "master" template file, you won't have to do it every time after that.

If I need to release an update to the VDL Template for some reason, I'll be sure to update the Readme file to account for this optional font setting.

Hope this gets it for you.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

Jesse.Stevens

Got it fixed.

For people that don't know how and want to fix it:

1. Go to Text -> Styles -> Open the menu
2. Select Expression and Edit
3. Choose "Based on: Plain Text"
4. Uncheck "Font" and Check "Sytle" and change to Italic.
5. Click OK
6. Go to "Plain Text" and Edit and choose "Plantin MT std"
7. Click OK
8 Go to "Music Text" and Edit and choose "Opus Text std"
9. Click OK

You're done!