Author
Topic: getting Sibelius to play the correct drum pitches

copywell

I'm using the instrument set S7S Template 7.1a.  Everything is loading correctly, except:

When loading an orchestral cymbal track, I can play (through midi) all of the programmed cymbal samples, including a wonderful cymbal roll. However, when I insert the note, using a midi keyboard, although it does insert a note, it puts in on the default pitch for cymbal notation, and then it simply sounds a crash cymbal. I have the same issue with programming alternate bass or snare drums. Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Using Sibelius 7 on a MacBook Pro, 10.6.8.

Hugh Smith

Hi copywell, welcome to the forum.

It may not be obvious, per se, but I believe what you're missing is the application of either an 8 or 16 tremolo articulation (2 or 3 slash). The mapping for Orchestral Percussion and Cymbals currently requires one of these to trigger the rolls properly.

I'm going to assume you've at least glanced at the Maps file. ;) Another look at the unpitched percussion mapping diagrams may be advised. As long as your note in the score matches what's in the diagram, the expectant playback should be the result.

Let me know how it goes.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

copywell

Hugh,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try the tremolo articulation. That's probably the issue. As far as maps go, I've never delved into that area. Can you give me a quick primer?

Thanks again.

Jack

Hugh Smith

Hi Jack

In the S7S package there is a file called "S7S_Maps_7.1a.pdf". This PDF file contains all the pertinent information on how the custom instruments have been defined and more usage details than what the Readme contains. Give this file a solid read and then let me know if you have any questions.

Hugh
Hugh Smith