Author
Topic: modwheel/notehead settings settings

jdesantis

I am trying to get vdl running on my Sibelius 7, and it seems to be working fine, except for one thing. I can not get certain sounds to play back, like shots on tenors or other sounds that are based on a mod wheel setting.

jdesantis

Actually, so far, the tenor sounds are the only ones giving me trouble. Everything else seems to be working. Do I need to change something in my dictionary? (I haven't touched the dictionary yet, so I know I didn't mess anything up.)

Hugh Smith

The shot/dread/rod/rim sounds in both the TenorLines and BassLines are controlled by which notehead is used in the score. Trying to manually insert modwheel values will not work since the sound set will override anything you put in.

Page 13 of the Readme reads, in part: "... Additionally, just changing a notehead to a different number, or moving the note up or down on the staff could also change the sound (view each instrument's diagram for what is available)."

Page 14 of the Maps file (VDL) has the mapping diagram for the TenorLines. The second line shows the shot/dread/rod/rim sounds. In Sibelius, with the note(s) selected, the easiest way to change noteheads is to use the shortcut keys:

• Mac: Cmd Optn + Shft + noteheadnumber
  • PC: Ctrl Alt + Shft + noteheadnumber

For two digit numbers, you'll need to enter the second digit immediately after the first. You should get a feel for this after a few tries.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Hugh Smith

jdesantis

I did change note heads. I guess I should have said that. Apparently note head 29 and 51 are supposed to be shots, but the resulting is just silence. I can get note head 1 to make some sort of sound, but it isn't correct. What should the dictionary say the note head's sound ID change should be? Mine just has it blank.

Hugh Smith

Ah, OK, I got ya. It looks like somewhere along the line you missed the part that VDL Template 7.0a REQUIRES VDL library version 2.5.5 for everything to function properly. The TenorLines (Manual/LITE/Solo) is one of those things.

The TenorLine Manual, LITE and Solo patches had the shot and rim sounds copied down to the bottom octaves so we could make use of the shot/dread/rod/rim sounds in almost any mixture in the score. The file you're working in is triggering correctly, it's just that the patch file in the 2.5.2 library doesn't have any sounds assigned down there.

Anyway, once you get VDL 2.5.5 going you should be just fine.

Optional: Take a look at the TenorLines TriggerTest file and watch how things are triggered in Kontakt Player. (The demonstration is old, but this page has some vids you can look at to see what's going on with the TriggerTest files.)
Hugh Smith

Joe

Quote from: Hugh Smith on June 04, 2012, 01:35:05 PMPC: Ctrl + Shft + noteheadnumber
Correction: On PC the Sibelius shortcut to change noteheads is ALT + SHIFT + noteheadnumber

Hugh Smith

My bad. I knew that too. Thanks Joe. I changed it above.
Hugh Smith