Author
Topic: Mixing 5 with 7

AaronH

So I upgraded straight from 5 to 7, and I'm wondering: will the Sibelius S7S-SE6 SoundSet allow me to mix 7 sounds with 5 sounds automatically, or do I need to do something extra? Or, do I need to purchase the sounds again with the S7S-SE6 Bundle?

Hugh Smith

Hi Aaron, welcome to the forum.

If I understand you correctly, you do not need the S7S-SE6 SoundSet - it won't work for you anyway. Sibelius 5's included library (Essentials v5) runs in Kontakt Player and Sibelius 7 Sounds runs in Sibelius Player. You can have one of each of these playback devices in a configuration and therefore have access to both at the same time.

The only reason you would need to have the S7S-SE6 SoundSet is if you wanted to simultaneously use Sib 6 Essentials with Sib 7 Sounds (as both run in Sibelius Player and only one sound set can be applied to the one possible playback instance).

Let me know if that answers your question.
Hugh Smith

AaronH

But Kontakt Player doesn't seem to be available in the Playback Devices window in Sibelius 7... am I missing something?

Hugh Smith

By default, Sibelius 5 Essentials uses Kontakt Player 2, which is a 32 bit application. The reason you're probably not seeing it in Sibelius 7 is because you're opening Sibelius 7 up in its 64 bit version. 64 bit Sibelius will only show you 64 bit playback devices; 32 bit Sibelius will only show you 32 bit playback devices.

I'm not 100% certain it would work, but the first thing I'd try is to see if Sib 5 Essentials will load in Kontakt Player 5 (is a free download). This can be run in 64 bit mode (32 bit too, but the goal for Sib is 64 bit).

If that doesn't work, then you may have to open Sibelius 7 in 32 bit to get KP2 to show up.
Hugh Smith

AaronH

Just tried KP5, it shows up as an option but only lets me access the General MIDI sound set, rather than giving me access to any of the good stuff from 5.

Hugh Smith

Did you try opening up Sibelius in 32 bit?
Hugh Smith

AaronH

Works perfectly. Thanks so much!

Hugh Smith

You're welcome. Glad to hear you got it going.

Have a great day!
Hugh Smith

AaronH

Note, though: when I tried to play one of my larger scores it didn't work. I solved the problem by changing the sound set for Kontakt 5, which I didn't know I could do but just figured out how.

Hugh Smith

Quote from: AaronH on April 29, 2014, 08:35:08 PM
Note, though: when I tried to play one of my larger scores it didn't work. I solved the problem by changing the sound set for Kontakt 5, which I didn't know I could do but just figured out how.

My guess is you double clicked the sound set field to get the drop down menu. ;)
Hugh Smith