Author
Topic: Sibelius 7 and Kontakt sound sets (PC)

Hugh Smith

The problem: "I have Kontakt Player as an active device, but no sound sets in the drop down menu." The manual fix for this requires that you get into and edit the Registry* so Sibelius 7 can see that the libraries are installed.

Remember, when using Sibelius 7 in 64-bit mode, Sibelius will only see 64-bit VST plugins.

EDIT: See second post below for a faster/safer method.

Step One:

Go to Start, click in the search field, type "regedit", hit Enter. That should get you to the Registry Editor.

Duplicate everything from
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > Native Instruments > Content
to
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Native Instruments > Content

I use the word "duplicate" because that's what was used in the instructions I received. You will need to create the new entries from scratch since Windows doesn't allow the normal copy/paste function in the Registry.

From HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Native Instruments > Content, right-click and choose New > String Value. Name the new entry to match what you're duplicating. Double-click that new item and fill in the Data field with "Virtual Drumline 2.5" - or whatever is needed.

I'd do a system restart at this point, then open Sibelius 7 and see if the sound sets display under a KP2/KP4 active device. If not, proceed to step two. I only had to do step one for the sound sets to show up.

Step Two (if necessary):

Duplicate the keys named after the libraries themselves and all of their sub-keys from
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Wow6432Node > Native Instruments
to
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Native Instruments

Yes, if you need to do this part, there may be a lot of them. Take your time and make sure that everything is copied correctly.

* The user is responsible for any modifications they make to the registry. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then I suggest you wait for a patch that will do this for you (if NI or the like produces one). In the meantime, you can still continue to use Sibelius 6.
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

Here is a safer way to "register" kontakt libraries (without digging into the registry itself).

Remove/Add Library

In Kontakt/Kontakt Player 3.5 and higher, open the standalone Kontakt program and select the "Libraries" tab. Locate the library wallpaper/panel in the list at the left, select the gear icon at the lower right and click "remove library". Note that this does not remove the library from your hard drive, only from the Kontakt program.

Add the Library to Kontakt again by selecting "Add Library" from the Kontakt "Libraries" panel and then selecting the root folder of the library on your system.

The idea behind this method is to allow the 64-bit Kontakt program to write the library information to the system again as doing so will result in the information being written in the 64-bit paths Sibelius 7 requires. If this does not resolve the issue, the Windows Registry must be edited.

Gleaned from http://www.soundsetproject.com/support/kb/use/kontakt-autoload-sibelius-7-64bit/. Thanks Jonathan.

Hugh Smith