Author
Topic: Seeing "General Midi" in soundset box??

Patrick B.

TWS EDIT: split topic

Hugh,

Thanks for your work in this forum, I have been reading many of your responses to people and they are helpful.

I have the exact same set up and question as the user K. Campbell in this thread where you helped him: http://forum.thewritescore.com/index.php?topic=374.0
Except, it looks like he stopped responding. Can you and I continue this topic where he left off if you don't mind? I have all the same equipment (Windows 7 64 bit, just bought and installed VDL, Sibelius, and the Sound Set from the Write Score two days ago, so I should be up to date) and I did and checked the same things you told him to check but I still only have "General Midi" as my only option for Kontakt Player sound sets. Attached is the screen shot you asked K. Campbell for. Thank you very much for your help!

Patrick B.

New development in this topic if Hugh or anyone has time to help-

I was investigating this problem further and I saw some comments about this elsewhere. Basically what I did was under Playback Devices, I went into the tab that says "Manual Sound Sets" and selected VDL SoundSet 7.0a (see screen shot). I hope that was the correct thing to select. Does anyone know if that was the right thing to do? I can easily put it back as General Midi, where is was originally.

My other questions is why do most people seem to have options on a drop down menu under Active Devices under the Sound Set bar? Now that I made that change in Manual Sound Sets and even before, I only had 1 option and other seem to have a few. Thanks for the help!

Kent

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem as Patrick.  For starters, I've saved a screen shot but don't know how to insert it in this forum post. 

I have updated everything (VDL 2.5.5, Kontakt 5, Sib 7.1.3) and purchased WS templates

In my Program Files/Avid/VST Plugins folder I have

GM_Module.dll
Kontakt 5.dll
Kontakt 5
KontaktPlayer2.dll

Thanks for your help!

Kent
Windows 7

Hugh Smith

Patrick, I see you got the sound set selection figured out (double click the field) from the Sibelius chat. And there's no need to use Manual Sound Sets with this Template if all is setup correctly.

My response from the chat: "You need to open 'VDL_Template_7.0a.sib' in order to see the instruments from the Template (custom ensemble). Please review the setup instructions in the Readme file. Also, read Appendix C for instructions on how to Export Manuscript Paper from the Template."

Kent, right under the post text box, click "Additional Options" to attach files. If your Windows 7 is 64bit, you need to put only 64bit .dll plugin files in the Avid VST folder. Once you know you have the right Kontakt Player VST files in place, restart Sibelius. In the Playback Configuration dialog, double click the field under Sound Set to get the sound set drop down list. If you still don't see it at this point, then you need to double check where you've placed the XML sound set file.

Please thoroughly review the documentation. Come back here (start a new topic if necessary) if you do in fact need further clarification.

Hugh
Hugh Smith