Author
Topic: S7S-SE6-VDL Bundle Setup In Sibelus 7

cmarti5

TWS Edit: split topic

Hi Hugh-

Setup is as follows: Macbook Pro, Sib 7.1, VDL 2.5

Thank you so much for the new bundle!  I recently switched to Mac after having used Sib 6 with windows.  Also upgraded to Sib 7 but can't make things work with playback... no sounds at all.  I'm having similar issues with playback in the Sib7.1a template.  Not sure what I'm doing incorrectly with either the playback configuration, active devices or setup of KP5.  When I open Kontakt it doesn't show VDL.  Screen shots attached for your reference.  Help...?

Hugh Smith

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Two things I see in the first image:

• It's recommended that Mac people use the AU version of the Kontakt Player plugin within Sibelius. You can ignore all the ones that read "VST".
  • The "VDL SoundSet 7.0a" sound set is the one you'll need to choose. If you don't have that in the drop down list, then you've either not installed it, or you put it in the wrong place.

The second image tells me that you need to click the "Browse" button at the top to be able to see what you have going in Kontakt Player. The VDL part should look similar to the attached image. Installing a sound set.

Hugh Smith

cmarti5

Thanks Hugh!  Is this the correct location for the sound files?

cmarti5

Also, this is what I see when I hit "browse"...

cmarti5

Very sorry for the confusion but clearly Im missing a step when it comes to loading the VDL library into KP5...?

Hugh Smith

It's all good, Chris. My guess is that you're fairly new to Sib 7. Let me see if I can explain what I think you need to do in your particular setup.

Your image with the S7S sound sets doesn't show me what the folder structure is above the Avid directory. On Windows there's more than one place that could be, and it will make a difference. The Users folder should also have several other folders within the Sibelius 7 directory; similar to the first image I attached. And of course, all your template sound sets would go into the Sounds folder, which you'll need to create if you haven't already.

If you know that you have VDL 2.5.5 installed correctly, "Launch Kontakt and click the Add Library button, then navigate to the location of your updated Virtual Drumline 2.5 library folder by highlighting the library folder itself, then clicking the "Choose" button. Kontakt Player will then add the library to its interface. That's it!". (Oh, if you don't have 2.5.5 yet, go get it!) If you're still unable to get to this point, review the instructions included with the 2.5.5 update - and/or watch this.

I believe you have been sent the S7S-SE6-VDL Bundle and all associated files. Once you get the sound set location figured out, you'll want to have all the sound sets that are in the third attached image placed into the previously referred to Users' Sounds folder. That may seem like a lot, but you'll need all of them there if you want to continue to use the older scores you've created since your original bundle purchase from TWS. (Take note of the file sizes, indicating they are different.) You may also want to review Appendix A of each Readme again for a refresher on the template/sound set versioning scheme.

Since you have the most complete TWS template/bundle package to date, the last image shows what you'd want to have for a Playback Configuration. The only variance would maybe be the addition of more instances of Kontakt Player to facilitate the number of VDL instruments that are in the score.

OK, chew on that for a while and let me know if you have any other questions.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

cmarti5

Thanks Hugh!  Got the links and loaded everything in, really appreciate your patience with me... IT WORKS!!!