Author
Topic: Sibelius 7.1, Kontakt Player 5 and Windows 7

drumzx

Hello Hugh,

I now have all of the topic stuff and I know I'm missing setup stuff.  I've been using Sibelius 6 for a long time and haven't had to update anything in a long time but with my laptop, Sibelius 7 seemed like the way to go. . .or so I thought.

When I open Sib 7 and I look at the Playback Devices, I do not see Kontakt Player 5 (or any Kontakt tool) of course because I don't remember how to get it in there.  Somehow I had expected Sib 7 to do all of this stuff seamlessly and obviously, expected way too much from them.  I have yet to purchase the Sib 7 template and will do so once I know I have everything setup.  But I am stuck.

I guess you would expect if I can't remember how to load Kontakt into the playback devices, I'm not going to be able to figure out how to load VDL soundsets. 

So, where do I start?

Steve
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
System Type: 64 bit operating system, x64-based processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

Hi Steve

Did you get this all figured out from the Tapspace thread you found?

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

drumzx

Hugh,

I purchased the 7.1 template today and did get it to work by following the instructions in the Users Guide.  By the way, when doing so, the directions state to download to "PC: C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Sibelius 7\Sounds".  There wasn't a "Sounds" folder there so I took a stab in the dark and created it. . .loaded the "S7S_Library_7.1.xml" into it and it works well.  I only mention it because there may be users who won't know to or will be afraid to take that leap of faith (and I'm still presuming I did the correct thing).

I do have a question.  When loading the marching bass drum voice, it gives three options. . .upper, line and lower.  Well I see the number of bass drum voices in any of those configurations is 5.  I most often use 6 bass drummers and I'm wondering if there is a way to activate a 6th bass drum voice.

Thanks,
Steve
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

Hi Steve

I do mention that users may need to create the Sounds folder themselves on page 6 of the Readme. (I'll take a look at possibly rewording it.)

The Sibelius 7 Sounds library only has 5 drums in the bass drum patch. The Upper, Line and Lower mappings are just notation options for placement on the staff.

Just out of curiosity, exactly which templates are you using?

Hugh
Hugh Smith

drumzx

Hugh, darn. . .

The Sibelius 6 template has 6 bass voices. . .I have it and do use it in 6.  I just purchased the Write Score template for Sibelius 7.1.  

Steve
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

If you have the SE6 Template in addition to the S7S Template, I'm in the process of merging those two sound sets into one file so both libraries can be used simultaneously. (Sibelius Player only allows one instance.)

An announcement will be made when it's ready.
Hugh Smith

drumzx

Thanks Hugh. . .

Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

LanceP

I have the same system..., but what if I don't have the following directory?

C:\Users\your username\AppData

(much less...\Roaming\Avid\Sibelius 7\Sounds)

Instead, I put the .xml file into:

C:\Program Files\Avid\Sibelius 7\Sounds

Needless to say, I cannot select VDL Soundset 7.0.  Ideas?

LanceP

Fixed, got help from Sibelius forum...evidently the path was hidden.  Go figure.

Hugh Smith

Glad you got it going.

Also, there's a bit about the AppData folder toward the bottom of this page: Installing a Sound Set.
Hugh Smith

drumzx

Quote from: Hugh Smith on February 28, 2012, 10:58:23 AM
If you have the SE6 Template in addition to the S7S Template, I'm in the process of merging those two sound sets into one file so both libraries can be used simultaneously. (Sibelius Player only allows one instance.)

Hugh, 7.1a is not the merge you were discussing here, correct?

Steve
Windows 11
32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
Kontakt 6
VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

Quote from: drumzx on May 13, 2012, 08:16:39 PM
Quote from: Hugh Smith on February 28, 2012, 10:58:23 AM

Hugh, 7.1a is not the merge you were discussing here, correct?

Steve

Correct. Here's the S7S-SE6 Bundle page if you want to read up on it. (If you have one of them already, then all you would need to do is purchase the one you don't have.)
Hugh Smith