Author
Topic: Sib 7.1, Kontakt 5, and VDL 2.5

dmety87

Hugh,

I was a user of VDL 2.5 & your Sib 6 template, and now I have upgraded to Sib 7.1 and your newly released Sib 7 template for VDL. Everything is showing up correctly in Sibelius 7.1. I can see Kontakt 5 in the devices list, and I have one instance of it activated and set to VDL SoundSet 7.0 in the drop down box. No sounds are playing in the VDL template however...what could be wrong?

Everything worked fine in Sib 6...just want to use 7 now since I love the new interface and features.

David

Hugh Smith

Hi David

I do not know. Do the VDL NKI files still load and play correctly when KP5 is in stand alone mode? If yes, check that your Mixer in Sibelius has all it's instruments set to (Auto). If still no sound, please provide screen shots of the Mixer and Playback Configuration.

Let me know.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

dmety87

Hugh,

Yeah it's weird. I have included a few screen shots. Everything plays back fine still in Sibelius 6 and if I load VDL into Kontakt 5 in stand-alone mode. One screenshot in particular shows during playback that the Marimba instrument I have added is producing sound but it's not going anywhere (?) Kontakt shows no volume output...

The dialog box comes up to show it's loading samples as well...but no sound is produced.

Hugh Smith

In the second image you attached there are 3 KP5 device choices in the left column. Only one of these will work, and the list has made it very difficult to tell them apart.

Try this: go to C:\Program Files\Avid\VSTPlugins and create a new folder named "not used". Move the "Kontakt 5 8out.dll" and "Kontakt 5 16out.dll" files into the folder you just created. I have done this on my system and have yet to encounter any ill effects. Restart Sibelius if it was open. You should now only have the one KP5 device available in the list.

(This assumes you're in 64 bit Sibelius mode. If using 32 bit, do the same thing at C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\VSTPlugins.)

If that doesn't get it, then we've at least checked it off the list.
Hugh Smith

dmety87

Ok. I did exactly what you said. Only one instance of KP5 appeared in the device column. Just for good measure, I deactivated the one instance of KP5 and reactivated it to make sure it was the proper one. Still no sound, unfortunately :(

Hugh Smith

OK, try this:
1) With the same file as above open, hit play, stop, then go to the Mixer. Click the gear icon for the Marimba - first attached pic.
2) You should see what the second attached image shows (including the Jam Blocks patch).
3) The green box is where I usually click to select whatever patch I want to sample the sound with using Kontakt Player's built-in keyboard. You'll see some sort of highlight - like the thinner lined orange box in this pic - once it's selected.
4) Now click around on the keys of the keyboard. Do you hear anything?
Hugh Smith

dmety87

I don't hear anything when clicking on the keys of the keyboard for the Jam blocks or Marimba that I added in to the score. I see that Kontakt is showing it is outputting sound (on the meter) but I don't hear it.

Hugh Smith

Hi David

Go to Play > Setup > Playback Devices. Click the Audio Engine Options button in the lower left of the dialog. What do you have assigned as your Audio Interface? (Attach a screen shot if you'd like.)

It sounds like the software is working correctly, it's just not getting to your speakers. Are you trying to run any other programs at the same time? What do you have for a sound card?
Hugh Smith

dmety87

Hugh,

Attached is a screen shot of my audio engine options dialog.

My sound card is built into my laptop. Not sure offhand what it is, some Intel or Realtek type deal.

My headphone jack is routed into a small Mackie mixer outputting into two Fostex studio monitors.

Like I said...it all worked with Sib 6...just gotta see what's going wrong with Sib 7.

dmety87

Hugh,

Well, you intrigued me to mess aronud. I fixed it. I switched the audio interface from ASIO to Speakers and Dual Headphones and it worked :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Dave

Hugh Smith

You're welcome. Have fun writing!
Hugh Smith