Author
Topic: No audio on playback

ksnoeck

I have recently migrated all to a 2013 iMac. I have Sib 7.1.3 and WriteScore Template 7.1a installed and identified. Aria Player for Garritan sounds that I want to use, Kontakt 5 and VDL 2.5.5 are also installed. I have set up a Configuration in Playback Devices that shows all of these in the Active devices list. I set up a score adding instruments to the 7.1a template. On playback, only the instruments using the S7Sounds are audible. The Garritan and VDL instruments can be selected, added, show up in the mixer, and show activity in the flashing mixer activity lights on playback, but no sound. I have tried the faders all the way up, but still no sounds from anything not from S7Sounds.

Did I inadvertently toggle something off somewhere? Is there a file (or two) that I haven't yet gotten to the correct folder?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Hugh Smith

Hi Ken

Well, it appears that something isn't quite right. Hmm... Can you get sound from K5/VDL when it's is stand alone?

Also, please attach screen shot of your Playback Configuration.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

ksnoeck

Being the dufus that I am, I don't remember how to do the Kontakt 5 player with VDL stand alone. It's not something I do.

Screen shot:

Hugh Smith

Hi Ken

In your screen shot, I see two things that you should change:

1) Instead of using the VST version of the K5 plugin, Mac users are encouraged to use the AU (Audio Units) version of the plugin.

2) For all instances of VDL/K5, you'll need to use the "VDL SoundSet 7.0a" sound set instead of "Virtual Drumline 2.5".

Make those adjustments first, and if that doesn't solve the playback, then go ahead and try things in stand alone. I'm not sure where they're located, but you should be able to launch both Aria Player and Kontakt Player from their respective install directories, or from an "installed programs" list, or whatever.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

ksnoeck

I deactivated the Kontakt 5 VST devices and activated Kontakt AU devices. There are no dropdowns under sound set to select VDL SoundSet 7.0a. Screenshot attached.

Hugh Smith

Double click that area.
Hugh Smith

ksnoeck

That's a big DUH on my part. While there are many choices there, VDL SoundSet 7.0a is not among them.

Screen shot:

ksnoeck

Actually, I have the VDL 7.1a template.

Hugh Smith

Hi Ken

There is no "VDL 7.1a" template. Do you mean S7S Template 7.1a? Or do you mean VDL Template 7.0a?

OK, so I had someone look it up, and it appears you have both. As in, you have the S7S-VDL Bundle.

If you're not seeing "VDL SoundSet 7.0a" in the drop down menu, you'll need to double check where you placed this XML file. It should be in your Users folder at: /Users/your username/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius 7/Sounds. If it is in fact there, then we'll need to take a look at your VDL install. For further details, review pages 6 and 7 of the Readme file.

In addition to the VDL Template, and to effectively facilitate the instrument definitions from the S7S Template part of the bundle, you'll need to have "S7S SoundSet 7.1a" assigned to your instance of Sibelius Player.

Let me know how you get on.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

ksnoeck

I have succeeded in getting the VDL SoundSet 7.0a in the drop down menu and select the instruments in the mixer, however, for both the VDL sounds using Kontakt Player 5 and the Garritan sounds using Aria Player, there is no sound. The mixer activity lights blink with the rhythm on the parts, but no sound.

Hugh Smith

Excellent! You now have the correct sound set assigned.

For the playback side, are you able to hear sounds when Kontakt Player (or Aria Player) is in stand alone mode? I'm not sure where they're located on a Mac, but you should be able to launch both Aria Player and Kontakt Player from their respective install directories, or from an "installed programs" list, or whatever.
Hugh Smith