Author
Topic: Staff Styles in Finale 2014.5

johngeorgeson

Good day,

I'm new to VDL, but a long time user of Finale.

Using the Staff Tool, I select a measure and choose "apply staff style".  According to the "Demystifying VDL" video, I should have the default 24 staff styles PLUS a bunch of VDL styles. All I see is up to #024.

Is this an install issue, or does Finale 2014.5 handle staff styles differently?

Mac OS X 10.10.4
Finale 2014.5
VDL 2.5.5

TBoliske

Staff Styles were changed after the Demystified videos were developed. The VDL functions that were available via Staff Styles are now possible through Text Expressions and the Change Instrument Utility.

what specifically were you wanting to do with the staff styles?
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

kcchief19

I am experiencing the same problem in Finale 2014. I am using banks to change instruments and have them loaded. I'm starting with chimes and need to change to cowbells. I've created the text expressions (both one for the patch change & a hidden one for the percussion midi map expression), but when I go to enter the notes via speedy entry with a midi keyboard, the notes do not appear in the correct location on the staff (i.e. they are appearing several lines below the staff). I believe the issue is going from a pitched to unpitched instrument without being able to change the "notation style" as is done in the score manager (the area above "transposition" in the bottom right corner of the score manager screen & the percussion midi map selection from the drop down menu in the instrument list). I've attached pictures of both areas to which I am referring. As is noticeable in the first picture, I'm also having the same problem in the second staff going from bells to guiro.
Windows Vista
Finale 2014
VDL 2.5.5

TBoliske

There is no need to use Staff Styles. Using the Score Manager and the Change Instrument Utility is a better and easier solution, especially pitched to non-pitched or the reverse. If you're using Bank or Channels changes, the text expressions are already available.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths