Author
Topic: Using Kontakt Player / VDL Template 6.0b in Sibelius 7

ewudrummer

TWS edit: renamed topic

Hi, I've gone ahead and purchased the Sibelius template file 6.0 b and I am now ready to use IT and Kontakt player 2 along with Sibelius 7.

I'm a little confused though because I don't seem to know where to put these files. I've checked out many Sibelius help sites from Avid and I've also checked out Tapspace publication videos on installing these sound sets. Since Sibelius 7 has different routes to go through in order to reach the files to place the sound sets in under My Computer, and since tapspace publications demonstrates how to install the soundsets with a Mac computer, I don't know where to put these things so that Sibelius 7 can have them ready to use. The read me files help too however my computer doesn't really show me the proper file of the "Application Data", because It's not there, when I follow the directions to install the sound sets under Sibelius "sounds" folder. I'm not sure if I have to create the "sounds" folder or If I'm doing it in the correct place.

I wasn't able to find the proper route that the read-me instructed which was C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Sibelius Software\Sibelius 6\Sounds. I can't find these routes and files because after choosing my one and only username, I have no access to "AppData" it just doesn't show up. I can access this however by typing Sibelius 7 in the search box and I come up with a similar file that contains almost the same route which is-C:\Users\my username\AppData\Roaming\Avid-and under here I guess I can try placing the sound set 6.0b xml file under the "Playback Configurations" folder because I remember seeing this list under playback configurations  in Sibelius 7 which listed-General  MIDI (basic)-Sibelius 7 sounds (chamber)-Sibelius 7 sounds (Jazz)-Sibelius 7 sounds-but I don't know if this is the right thing to do.

Another problem is that I don't know how to intergrate my Kontakt player 2 into Sibelius 7 so that it will show as an avaliable device. If i could get help with this then please do! Also, is it required of me to purchase SE6 Sibelius template (6.0) first before using template 6.0b?

I'm just confused on trying to get Kontakt 2 player as an available device so that i can use Virtual drumline and I'm confused in trying to find where to properly place these sound sets. I have everything updated as the read me file tells me I should.

I could use some help. (by the way I'm using Windows 7)
Thank you so much.

Hugh Smith

Hi ewudrummer

Quote from: ewudrummer on September 15, 2011, 12:37:24 AM
Also, is it required of me to purchase SE6 Sibelius template (6.0) first before using template 6.0b?

No. All the templates can function independently of another. You'll only need it if you want to make use of the v6 Essentials library. Since you're using Sib 7, I'd just wait for the S7S template to be completed.

The VDL Template 6.0b Readme doesn't give folders/directories for working with Sibelius 7. Let me see if I can list what goes where.

Step 1 - Get Kontakt to show up under Available devices

64-bit users
If you're going to be using Sibelius 7 in 64-bit mode, you'll have to use Kontakt 4 Player or Kontakt 5 Player*. Hopefully you already have KP4, if so, copy/paste the 64-bit Kontakt 4 Player VST .dll plugin files into the appropriate Sibelius folder. Should be C:\Program Files\Avid\VSTPlugins. 64-bit Sibelius will not see KP2 at all.

32-bit users
Sibelius 32-bit will see the KontaktPlayer2 VST plugin files. Place the KP2 VST files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Avid\VSTPlugins.

Step 2 - Install the sound set

Read this page to see where the xml sound set files go. There's a footnote that explains how to get the AppData folder to show up.

If no sound sets are listed in the KP2/KP4 Active device drop down menu, it's because Sibelius doesn't see that your Kontakt libraries are in fact installed. To get these to show up, you'll need to manually tweak the Registry. Here are the instructions.

Let us know if you run into any problems.

Hugh

* The current build of Sibelius 7 (7.0.2) doesn't properly support Kontakt 5 Player. A subsequent update is forthcoming.
Hugh Smith

ewudrummer

Ok so I got as far as placing the VST plugins in Sibelius and placing the sound sets where they are supposed to go. I had the problem where Kontakt Player 2 is available as a device but then no sound sets where coming out of the scroll window. I checked your link to fixing this under the registry and i have a few more questions.

1) After locating the Native Instruments Content folder I found that the stuff in it didn't match with what your example image provided.  under this path  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Wow6432Node > Native Instruments, Your example obviously has files I don't. Now I'm aware the example provided is only an example and i'm aware that i won't have all of these. Mine shows only Default and k2lib0801-Virtual Drumline 2.5 which is in the example provided as well. Under the path i specified above I have four folders- Content, Kontakt Player 2, Service Center, and Virtual Drumline 2.5 but the path i'm supposed duplicate these to contain folders-Service Center, and Virtual Drumline 2.5 only and not Content or Kontakt Player 2.

How do I duplicate these things without a copy paste option, and as for the extra two files Content and Kontakt Player 2, do I transfer these files the same way?

2) Also, I'm not sure if it's because I don't have the files set in place yet but when I go under playback devices in Sibelius 7 and change the configuration I have a couple options, two of which are sibelius 5 essentials that allow my Kontakt Player 2 to activate. When I apply this option Sibelius warned me that this files are not found. after I acknowledged this I closed the playback devices window and Sibelius crashes after this. I've also gone through Manual Sound Sets window and found Sib 6.0b sound set, applied it and closed the window, then kontakt player began loading sounds and afterwards Sibelius crashed. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the registry fix or because sound essentials 5 files are misplaced?

I'd really appreciate your help. =)

Hugh Smith

Before I try to answer your post, I need for you to clarify a few things.

Is your Windows 7 32 or 64-bit?
What other versions of Sibelius do you have installed in addition to Sib 7?
What playback devices are active in the Playback Configuration?
What sound sets are assigned to those devices (if any)?

If you can attach screen shots of what you're seeing, that would help greatly. For example, see if you can show me an image of what you see in your Registry (similar to the images I provided in my Registry tweaks post).

Hang in there. We'll get this.
Hugh Smith

ewudrummer

1) My Windows is a 64 bit Operating System. I am operating a 32 bit Sibelius 7.

2) No other versions of Sibelius besides the 64 bit version of Sibelius 7

3) for Devices I have: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, LoopBe Internal MIDI, Kontakt player 2. I'm porviding snap shot of these pictures in sibelius for you to look at, what i found under Manual Sound Sets

4) The sound sets for the different configurations are as follows: General MIDI, Sibelius 7 sounds along two others: (Jazz) and (chamber), when i have Sibelius 5 Essentials My device is Kontakt player 2 with Sibelius 5 Essentials as a soundset

ewudrummer

These attachments are more screen shots. one is under Native instruments wow6432 Node, the other two are in Native Instruments in the route (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Native Instruments > Content)
and i included what my VST plugins look like in the sibelius folders NOTE: the paths above should help you know where these are.

ewudrummer

the following are more snapshot of Sibelius playback and soundsets

ewudrummer

Last one my final snap shots within Sibelius & playback Devices

I tried to be through so bare with me on the amount of attachments I provided. Hope we can figure this out.

Hugh Smith

Thanks for the images, that really does help a lot. Let me see if I can go through this for you.

Quote from: ewudrummer on September 15, 2011, 11:18:09 PM
1) My Windows is a 64 bit Operating System. I am operating a 32 bit Sibelius 7.

Is there a particular reason why you're not trying to use Sibelius 7 in 64-bit mode?

2) No other versions of Sibelius besides the 64 bit version of Sibelius 7

Are you starting out with Sibelius 7 altogether, or did you upgrade from a previous version? One of the images shows the SE6 SoundSet; that template is designed to be used with Sibelius Sounds Essentials, the library that shipped with Sibelius 6.

3) for Devices I have: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, LoopBe Internal MIDI, Kontakt player 2. I'm porviding snap shot of these pictures in sibelius for you to look at, what i found under Manual Sound Sets

The first thing I'll say here is to not mess with any Manual Sound Sets. These are mostly for libraries' playback devices that are not setup to allow Sibelius to autoload patches into them. All you'll need for devices are KP2* and Sibelius Player.

* Whether you use Sib in 32 or 64-bit mode, I recommend you use Kontakt 4 or 5 Player. (KP5 will be supported soon.)

4) The sound sets for the different configurations are as follows: General MIDI, Sibelius 7 sounds along two others: (Jazz) and (chamber), when i have Sibelius 5 Essentials My device is Kontakt player 2 with Sibelius 5 Essentials as a soundset

These are all default configurations and cannot be changed. Use the "New" button to create a new one. From there you'll be able to activate whatever device(s) you need.

The sound sets look like they're in the correct place.

Everything under the Wow6432Node > Native Instruments folder looks good (that's what mine looks like). However, the non-Wow6432Node part needs some help.

Quote from: ewudrummer on September 15, 2011, 02:03:06 PM
How do I duplicate these things without a copy paste option, ...

The Registry Editor doesn't function the same way the file browser does. You'll have to manually create the entries yourself.

First, you need to create the "Content" folder under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Native Instruments. Right-click on the folder "Native Instruments", click New, click Key, type in "Content".

Now inside the folder you just created (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Native Instruments > Content), add the new entries (use the attached image to help): 1) Right-click, choose New, click String Value. 2) Type in the Value name, should be "k2lib0801". 3) Double-click this new entry and type the Value date, "Virtual Drumline 2.5". Click OK.

If I'm gathering right, what you're still missing is the VDL SoundSet showing up under an active instance of KP2. The registry instructions should get that part done. If it doesn't, let me know.

Late
Hugh
Hugh Smith

ewudrummer

1) I was using Sibelius 7 (32) bit because 64 bit won't see KP2 at all and that all I have for now. I'm looking forward before purchasing Kontakt player 4 after we fix one more problem I'm having right now but first let me answer your other questions...

2) Yes i'm starting with Sibelius 7 all together. Never installed any other Sibelius software before and the SE6 sound set...I purchased it because I didn't know what i was getting into so that's why you saw that sound set. But I suppose this will help me in the future because the people i have to work with use Sibelius 6. I don't know how thats going to work with different sound sets and all...

3) Now...for the Regedit portion of your instructions, I was able to add these to the Native Instruments folder and all i added was the Content folder just like it was suggested i do. was that all i needed under that Native Instruments file?

Now when I go to create a new configuration and I try to active KP2 and activate the sound sets i need, Sibelius recognizes that the Kontakt Player 2 library is not installed. I'll give you a snap shot of what I think i have installed and what happened when I created a new Kontakt Device when I tried activating Kontakt Player 2 and change the soundsets...Also I named this new Device Kontakt Payer 2 (2) . As far as having kontakt player 2 installed with Sibelius this snap shot shows what i think is installed and sibelius 7 can't find the library therefore I can't adjust the sound sets I'm guessing. I'm sure it's cause i don't have the necessary files in the right place. I know I'm close and thanks for your help.

Hugh Smith

1) Kontakt 4 Player (or KP5) is a free download from the NI site, here. Yes, let's get the VDL sound set to show up under KP2 before we mess with KP5. *

2) Since you don't have Sibelius 6, or more importantly the version 6 Essentials sample library, the SE6 Template isn't going to do you much good - even if your other colleagues have it. (I sent you a PM regarding this.)

3) Adding the "Content" folder was just the first step. Please re-read those instructions and add the VDL entry inside that Content folder. As far as I can tell, this is the last thing you're missing to get the VDL sound set to show up.

I attached an image of what the Playback Configuration should look like. And of course, more instances may be needed if you exceed 16, 32, 48 etcetera instruments.

(I'm surprised that the "Sibelius 5 Essentials" sound set is showing up. Sibelius should see that it isn't installed and not give that to you as an option in the drop down list. Hmmm.)

Late
Hugh

* Actually, it's not going to hurt to go ahead and install Kontakt 5 Player. I suggest you go ahead and do so, that way you'll already have it going when you install the next Sib update.
Hugh Smith

ewudrummer

Well, I copied Everything that was under the Wow6432 to Native instruments....one thing though. I guess I was never smart enough to double click the sound set where "VDL sound set 6.0b" would go next to the (type:kontakt) and (Device:Kontakt Player 2) under Sound Set to bring up the drop down arrow next to it, so I'm not even sure if it helped or anything because I never actually brought down that window previously. I thought by clicking "Sound Set" above where it would say "VDL soundset 6.0b" that It would scroll down. Anyhow I created a new Device, activated Kontakt player 2, and found the 6.0b template. I provided a snap shot of what I was able to do in playback configuration.

but then just my luck....I now cant get anything to to play in Sibelius. No sounds, none. Only under the playback configuration of General MIDI do I get any sound, regardless of the template I choose. I don't know what to do, huh....

Would I be better off Uninstalling Sibelius and Kontakt Player 2? I haven't upgraded Sibelius at all so I'm not sure what I should do.

Frustrated.

Hugh Smith

OK, good. You got the sound set to show up.

I wouldn't uninstall/reinstall anything just yet. There's probably a setting somewhere that's wonky.

How much RAM do you have?
Are you able to load patches into KontaktPlayer2 and test them in stand-alone mode?
Did you have any sounds before the VDL sound set showed up?
What are your settings under Playback Devices > Audio Engine Settings?
Have you tried using the TriggerTest files to see if they play back properly? (See Appendix B of the Readme.)

Quote from: ewudrummer on September 17, 2011, 06:58:09 PM
....one thing though. I guess I was never smart enough to double click the sound set where "VDL sound set 6.0b" would go next to the (type:kontakt) and (Device:Kontakt Player 2) under Sound Set to bring up the drop down arrow next to it, so I'm not even sure if it helped or anything because I never actually brought down that window previously.

Yeah, I still forget about that sometimes when I go from Sib 6 to Sib 7. :)
Hugh Smith

ewudrummer

I have 6.0 GB of RAM

Kontakt Player 2 plays the patches perfectly in stand alone

YES i did have sounds before the sound set showed up.

I'm giving you a pic of my settings under Audio Engine

I loaded a snare trigger test before I replied previously and I couldn't hear anything

Hugh Smith

6GB of RAM is enough for most scores. Remember though, Sibelius 7 32-bit will only be able to access 3GB of RAM. This is why I recommend using it in 64-bit. (Sibelius will hopefully have K5P support in the next update - whenever that is.)

The Audio Engine settings look good.

When you loaded the SnareLines' TriggerTest file, did you have the same configuration as above? (One instance of KP2 with VDL SoundSet 6.0b assigned.)

I can't see anything in your settings that would be causing problems. What you may try to do is tinker around with various settings here and there to see if you can find the right combination.

Oh, try loading just a wind or brass instrument into Sibelius Player and see what that does.

Late
Hugh
Hugh Smith