Author
Topic: Accessing VDL Libraries

Ken

I've downloaded the new maps for Finale 2012. I followed the directions for installing the files. The problem I'm having is I can't get the libraries to load. When downloading the files it seems there is only 1 "FIN12_VDL Percussion Libraries" file and it is a document file. Is this correct? I copied this file into the correct folder. When I try to load the library in Finale 2012 it does not appear. What am I doing wrong?

Ken

TBoliske

Ken,

If you are using one of the templates included in the package you do not need to load the library. It is already part of that Finale .mus file.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

Ken

I'm trying to use and load the libraries in an already existing finale file not a template. When I go to my score manager/notation style/settings and look at my percussion layouts, none of the VDL layouts appear. The same thing applies when I try to place a staff style. None of the VDL staff styles appear. How to I get these items to appear. I have downloaded the Finale 2012 VDL files and placed them in the correct folders yet they still do not appear. Please advise.

Ken

TBoliske

Ken,

To load the Finale/VDL 2012 Library: Load Library > at the bottom of the dialog box set Enable: to All Files. It should be visible now.

Staff Styles that were included with the 2011 templates are not needed with Finale 2012. Look through the Help Menu for Mid-score instrument changes. Keep us updated on how things develop.
Ted Boliske

Ken

When I view the folder in my finder it is there. There is one file and it is identified as a "document" file. Is this correct? When I open a Finale file in 2012 and choose Load Library, that file is not listed. It still is not present, even when I selected view all files. Can you please tell me what file or files should be in this folder and what type of file should they be? Please advise.

Ken

TBoliske

Ken,

What OS are you using, Mac or Windows? And which version, 10.7, Windows 7, etc.?
Ted Boliske

Ken

Mac Os 10.7.3. Using Lion OS.

Ken

TBoliske

Ken,

It sounds as though when you choose 'Load Library', the Finale preferences are looking at the User area. The Readme instructions state to place the Library into a common folder, this is at the HD level for Mac users. Finale should automatically copy any changes here to the User area. Try opening Finale, selecting Program Options from the Finale Menu. Then select Folders. you may need to check the box for Libraries, then click on the Library button and navigate to that common Library folder.

One thing to remember about 10.7 is that some User level folders and files have been hidden. To view these hidden files use the Go Menu >
Go To Folder > type '~/Library' (without the quotes). Let me know how things go and if you have any questions.
Ted Boliske

TBoliske

Ken,

Just checking back to see id you've had any success in solving this issue.
Ted Boliske