Author
Topic: Grabbing a Screen Shot

Hugh Smith

If you're having trouble getting the perfect sized screen shot to help with your explanation, here's a small Windows utility that works pretty well: Cropper. I personally use SnagIt, but Cropper works good for a free one. Once you have it installed, the output folder is "...\Documents\Cropper Captures" (on Windows 7). Or better yet, go into the Options and change the Output Location to your Desktop. Oh, one more setting for Cropper (right-click the tray icon), choosing the PNG output format will be the best for attaching to forum posts.

There are many screen capture programs out there, so do your own Google search if you'd like.

I'll not be much help on the Mac side, but I think that has some decent built-in options.

Post here if you have any other suggestions.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

Joe

I use a program called Irfanview for image viewing in Windows. It's a lightweight but useful program.
http://www.irfanview.com/

To quickly grab a screenshot of something of interest, press PRINT SCREEN (or ALT + PRINT SCREEN to grab only the active window). Then open Irfanview and paste (CTRL + v) the screenshot. You can quickly crop the image to your liking by dragging a box around it and pressing CTRL + y.

Hugh Smith

Quote from: Hugh Smith on April 18, 2012, 03:18:55 PM
I'll not be much help on the Mac side, but I think that has some decent built-in options.

According to a reliable source, built-in options for Mac users are:

• Command-Option-4 for selecting your own area (use the resultant cross-hairs to select your desired pictorial region)
  • Command-Option-3 for the entire screen
Hugh Smith