Author
Topic: Perc. Midi Maps

dmsmith90

Hello,

I'm using the new Finale 2012a template on a Mac. Couple issues I'm having:

1) It asks for the file information, but doesn't show it -- How can I get it to show on the document?

2) All of the midi maps are the showing only the first 35 sounds for the VDL2.5 Snare Manual. That includes like the hi-hat percussion map shows that is well, the remaining sounds 35 - 74 all say custom. I have double checked that I have added and followed all of the steps, and can seem to be able to resolve this issue. All of my notation appears no where near it's correct staff location and are all yellow (not on the map) notes. I have tried clearing my fonts, re-assigning the midi maps, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dustin

TBoliske

Dustin,

I'm sure I understand your first question, "asking for file information". Can you be more specific? When is this happening?

With problem #2, my first though is that you may be looking at the percussion midi maps from an older version of the templates, pre-2012. I'll check further.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

dmsmith90

Every time I open up one of the VDL templates for 2012, it immediately asks for file information, such as title, composer, arranger, and so on -- and when I fill it out and hit okay, nothing shows up on the first page of the score. I'm not sure why?

As far as the second issue, I have made sure to delete all previous Midi maps from my 2010 template, and still have the same issue.

Thanks,
Dustin

Random after thought: I noticed when I was following the instructions to install the new 2012a template that my Finale Library icon didn't look the same as the one in the picture. (The manual shows a finale-looking file?) I just checked my old templates and they looked correct. This may be too trivial, but worth mentioning I guess if the problem is resolved. Could it be just a bad download??

TBoliske

Dustin,

1. How are you opening the template files? If you're using Finale File Menu > New > Document from Templates > FIN12_VDL Templates folder this shouldn't happen. Presuming everything is in the correct location and Finale is looking in that location.

2. If you are using one of the templates there is no real need to 'load' the library as they are contained in the template files.

Would you attach a copy of the file in question? It might be easier to dissect the problem(s) that way rather than with screen shots.
Ted Boliske

dmsmith90

Here the files

TBoliske

Dustin,

Took a look at both files. The score shows that an older version of the xml files had been selected in the Percussion MIDI Maps column but that you were using the newer layouts for the 2012 templates. I'm not seeing anything with the template file however. I'll keep playing with them and get back with some more info.
Ted Boliske

dmsmith90

How do I select the newer ones?

TBoliske

The newest XML files, pre-VDL 2.5.5, are named FIN12_VDL_(name). Where name is the instrument group such as accessory, battery, etc. These are loaded using the Percussion MIDI Map column in the main window of the Score Manager.
Ted Boliske

dmsmith90

I have deleted the old ones and am still having the same issues. I've currently just switched back to using 2010. I guess I'll continue to just play with it when I have time.

mskellett

I'm having the same issue dmsmith...when I open the template and begin to set up the file (title, composer, etc.) none of it appears on the score. 

I also can't get the template to show measure numbers as I have in previous versions.

Did anyone find an answer to this?

TBoliske

I'll look into this issue. It will be a week before I can get to it as I'm currently on vacation.
Ted Boliske