Author
Topic: VDL Template 2012.a.1 problems

twixmarimba

I just installed the VDL 2.5.5 update, along with the up-to date template.  I followed all directions as written in the read me instructions, but when I open the template files I am not getting any 2.5.5 layouts or percussion maps, but only those from 2.5.2.  The same occurs when loading the library into a separate finale file.  I can see the folders under the Percussion MIDI Map column in Score Manager, but the 2.5.2 folders don't show any options to chose from.  Any idea where I could have gone wrong? Thanks!

twixmarimba

Upon further review, I have the percussion layouts and the text expressions, but do not have the 2.5.5 Percussion MIDI Maps.

TBoliske

Layouts and Text Expressions are loaded into the templates as you've discovered. You don't mention which operating system you're using, so the answer will vary.  In Windows 7 the common folder is hidden, Mac OS 10.7 the common folder is at the root (or hard drive) level and it is visible but the user folder in User/Library/Application Support is hidden. Without knowing which system you have it is difficult to provide any specific steps to solve the issue.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

twixmarimba

Sorry, I meant to put that in my original post.  I am running on Mac OSX.

TBoliske

10.6 or 10.7? In either case, copying the XML files to HD/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale 2012/MIDI Device Annotation should cause Finale to copy them to your User folder. The location has the same name with (user)/ instead of HD/. The remainder of the path is the same. The difference between 10.6 and 10.7 is that the User location of the Library folder is hidden. To find the folder in 10.7 do the following: from the Go Menu select 'Go To Folder' and in the dialog box that appears type '~/Library' The "~" symbol is called 'tilde'. Use the shift key and the key on the far left of the numbers row.
Ted Boliske

twixmarimba

That fixed it.  I put the files in the common libraries folder, but somehow the XML files were in the users library folder were shortcuts.  I'm guessing somewhere along the line I did a drag and drop rather than copy/paste.  Either way its working fine now, thanks for the help!

TBoliske

Glad to hear the problems have been solved.
Ted Boliske

jjpipit1

Hello.  I have a MAC Book Pro OS 10.7.3, VDL 2.5.5, Finale 2012a.1 and the  FIN12_VDL255_ENSEMBLE_Template.mus

I am not able to get the snareline to map correctly.  I get all the right snare sounds. And all of the other instruments seem to be mapping ok.  But the snare line is mapping on wring lines and with wrong note heads.  I have checked in the score manager to make sure that the correct "snare line full/Lite MW" is selected. Where am I going wrong?

Thank you for any help you can offer,
JJ Pipitone

TBoliske

JJ,

There are 2 places to set the percussion maps. The first is the far right of the main Score Manager window under the column Percussion MIDI Maps. The second is in the lower right corner. Notation Style should be set to 'Percussion', then click the button for 'Settings' and select the Percussion Layout. From here you can choose the instrument layout to match the Percussion MIDI Map. Let me know if you have any further issues or questions.
Ted Boliske

jjpipit1

Thank you so much!!  That seems to have done it.  One last question.  Are the regular snare hits supposed to show up in the treble clef "A" space?   I usually try to get all my snare stuff in the "C" space.  Do I have a setting wrong or is that how it is set up?  No big deal, either way.  I have the right note heads and I can definitely live with this.

Thank you so much for your help and for your quick reply. 

JJ

TBoliske

JJ,

By choice or force of habit, the snare hits have been placed on the treble clef A space. Changing them is easy. Go back to to Layout menu (ScoreManager>Notation>Percussion>Select), click on the map in question (in this case the SnareLine Manual), then click Edit (lower left corner of the window) and you should see all of the sound mappings (noteheads and staff placement). You can change either of these using the windows on the right side of the Edit Window. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Ted Boliske