Author
Topic: Unable to load Lib

APGarcia

Just downloaded the updated templates etc. for VDL 2.5.5 and I'm having trouble loading the library inside of Finale. It looks like the actual file for the library is not the proper file type, it is only showing up as a unix executable and not a library. Finale won't recognize it as a library either.

Has anyone else had this issue? Help appreciated!

TBoliske

You do not need to load the Lib file into the templates. This is only for working with files created outside of the template files. Even then, it isn't required if you use the DEFAULT template file to create a composite score for percussion and winds.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

APGarcia

Maybe I'm not understanding, I am working without templates and would really like to be able to use the library with it. This was possible before by using the "load library" option. Is it still possible? I almost never use templates.

TBoliske

It should be possible to use the load library function. Although there does appear to be an issue with compressing the template packages that is causing the library files to not appear correctly. I'll need to look into this more to provide a better answer. In the mean time, I suggest using the Default template file. It is a single non-pitched percussion staff, allowing you to configure whatever score you wish to build. Attribute for this staff can be changed via the ScoreManager, which is where you may also add instruments, define their attributes, and assign playback devices, Percussion MIDI Maps, and Percussion Layouts.

As a point of reference, which OS are you using? This will help in my efforts to track down this bug.
Ted Boliske

APGarcia

That would be great, as I am working on a huge score that I would just like to incorporate the perc maps in the existing file, not have to rebuild the entire thing.

My OS is Lion. Thanks for checking this out!

twixmarimba

I'm working on the same system and mine does the same thing.  I just changed to "show all files" on the dialogue box and it allows me to open the .exe VDL 2.5.5 Library File into Finale.  If you haven't tried that yet, its worth a try!

TBoliske

Yes. This will work. You may also open a template file then Save Library. If you go this route (Save Library) make sure you check the boxes for Percussion Layouts AND Text Expressions.
Ted Boliske

APGarcia

I've done both of those things but it seems like the problems are mounting here. Here are some things that are going on:

1) When I load the default template, the default map that is chosen seems to show up correctly (I think it's the bass drum map) BUT if I try to switch to a different mapping they seem to inherit the names of the original map that was loaded. So if, say, I switch to a map that has only 5 note placements assigned, it will inherit 5 of the names from the original mapping (I think for the same note positions).

2)Even with the correctly loaded and assigned mappings, it does not play back the appropriate samples.

3)Even if I were to use the default bass drum mapping, as soon as I assign the sound device as Kontakt 5, the names of the staff positions all switch to "custom 1" or "custom 2" etc.

4)If I Independently load the library in to an already existing file (as you suggested) the mappings do appear in the list but when I click on the "edit" button, all of the names are no longer specific, again they only say "custom 1" or "custom 2" etc.

Really need help with this!

TBoliske

Ok, let's do this:

Using the Default template (because it will be easy to work with) do the following in this order:

1. from the Window Menu, select ScoreManager

2. Under the Sound column click Edit Player, Kontakt should open, load in any SnareLine Manual Lite (I'm suggesting Lite because it will load faster for this tutorial), once it is loaded you may close the Kontakt window

3.Under the Percussion MIDI Map column, click the file name that is presently listed, this opens up the list available Percussion MIDI Maps (the XML files), scroll to FIN12_VDL255 Battery and select SnareLine Manual

4.In the lower right corner where it says Notation Style: Percussion, click the Settings button, if you are familiar with Finale pre-2012 this information was found in Staff Attributes, everything has been consolidated into the ScoreManager

5.Once you have clicked the Settings button, the Percussion Layout Selection window appears, in this window select VDL2.5 SnareLine Manual Full/Lite (MW)

6. To verify that everything is correct, click the Edit button after selecting your layout, you should see all of the sound names, staff placements, and notehead assignments.

7. At this point, click OK to close the Percussion Layout Designer box, click Select to close the Percussion Layout Selection box, and close the ScoreManager Window

The key to all of this to do Percussion MIDI Map then Percussion Layout. If you forget and do the steps in reverse, just do them again in the correct order. It's also important to know that prior to Finale 2010, playback and layout were separate items. Beginning with 2010 they have become linked, one affects the other. With 2012, changes to both may now be made in the same window, the ScoreManager.

I think this covers everything. Let me know how things develop.
Ted Boliske

APGarcia

Awesome awesome awesome. I feel a bit stupid, the only issue was that the "percussion map" column was not included in my score manager by default so I had not been setting it because I didn't know it existed (I was only using the notation style setting to change the maps). I had never clicked the "customize view" menu and selected percussion MIDI map. Solved all my problems!

I appreciate your patience!

TBoliske

Glad to hear things are now working. And thanks for reminding me that I need to include "customize" in the ReadMe when working with ScoreManager.
Ted Boliske