Author
Topic: having issues from the start

sonordrum

Hi,
poked around here for a while and am really just getting more lost.

Installed the files into Finale '12 from the ReadMe tonight.  I have updated to VDL2.55 so I also updated to Kontakt 5 player.

First, the template files are not showing up in the FIle-NEW-Templates.  Restarted Finale, and the computer.  Nothing.  Finder shows them there. 

I suppose that will be my starting point.  I opened them just out of the zip file and somethings are not really happening there either.  More on that once we get question #1 going.
thanks in advance!

TBoliske

There are 2 ways to fix finding the templates. The first is through Finale Preferences. This is also probably the easiest.

Finale 2012 Menu > Preferences > Program Options > Folders > click the check box next to Templates > Click the Templates button and navigate to the location where you placed the templates.

The second option is to copy the folder containing the VDL templates to your User library. To do this, navigate to the VDL templates folder (either the location you placed them or from the expanded package you downloaded). Then copy the folder, after copying from the Go Menu at the top of your Finder screen (your desktop) select "Go To Folder" and in the box that appears type " ~/Library ". This will take you to your User Library folder. In Mac OS 10.7 this folder is now hidden, but looking for it this way will make it be visible. At this point, the path is similar to the one found in the ReadMe, /ApplicationSupport/MakeMusic/Finale2012.

You may also use this method to copy the included VDL Library (although it isn't required) and the XML files.

Let me know how things work out. If need be, we can setup an iChat/Skype conference call.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

sonordrum

Quote from: TBoliske on June 25, 2012, 11:31:02 AM
There are 2 ways to fix finding the templates. The first is through Finale Preferences. This is also probably the easiest.

Finale 2012 Menu > Preferences > Program Options > Folders > click the check box next to Templates > Click the Templates button and navigate to the location where you placed the templates.

The second option is to copy the folder containing the VDL templates to your User library. To do this, navigate to the VDL templates folder (either the location you placed them or from the expanded package you downloaded). Then copy the folder, after copying from the Go Menu at the top of your Finder screen (your desktop) select "Go To Folder" and in the box that appears type " ~/Library ". This will take you to your User Library folder. In Mac OS 10.7 this folder is now hidden, but looking for it this way will make it be visible. At this point, the path is similar to the one found in the ReadMe, /ApplicationSupport/MakeMusic/Finale2012.

You may also use this method to copy the included VDL Library (although it isn't required) and the XML files.

Let me know how things work out. If need be, we can setup an iChat/Skype conference call.

Strange, once I navigated there using the methode you described in the 3rd paragraph, the files were not there.  The Libraries folder (where FIN 12_VDL225 Percussion library is moved to) was completely empty.  Nothing in there. 

Now Finale templates is seeing the files!!  Thanks!!  I see that the ScoreManager defaults to Kontakt 4, so I need to manually change all these to Kontakt 5 and load the sounds manually.  Is this correct?

thanks again!
Kent

TBoliske

Kent,

It sounds as if things are working correctly. Yes, the templates default to K4. This is because it's the oldest version compatible with the update. Keep the support files paths set via preferences using the root level (the one which is visible when you double click your HD) Library and things should be good. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Ted Boliske

sonordrum

okay, this leads me to my next big issue.  I was experiencing the same thing before I got the templates moved and all the rest installed, but I'd hoped it would go away.

So I've opened a template from you, and manually changed the ScoreManager Device setting to Kontakt 5.  Then loaded Snareline Lite manual into the player.   When i then enter a note on the staff using the mouse, it notates with Xs and whatnot, just as you'd expect.  This will not however playback upon entry or playing.  Now, if I use my USB keyboard to enter the notes, it will play back, but only notate on the line or space of the note I'm taping (C,D,E,F, etc.)

So I move on to the tenor voice.  Same thing as experienced above. 

Loaded vibraphone no problem.

sonordrum

wow, things just get stranger and stranger.

Any chance you're available sometime tomorrow to video chat/screen share with me??  Please email me at sonordrum@mac.com

TBoliske

Kent,

I'm in and out today and will be away for the next few days. when you enter notes are you using Simple or Speedy entry or both? If both, which method has which issue? I'll work with it some today before I head out and reply with an update.
Ted Boliske

TBoliske

Kent,

If you are using Simple Entry look at the following:

1. Under the Simple Menu is 'Use MIDI Device for Input' checked?

2. Under the same Menu select 'Simple Entry Options' and check all boxes. This should fix the playback issue because one of the boxes is 'Playback on Entry'.

You can then use the up/down arrows to navigate through the different sounds for each instrument, and you should see the note names. Find the sound and then hit enter. Use the left/right arrows to navigate forward or back within the measure or to the next or previous measure.

Speedy Entry should be the same. Check the pull down menu and everything should be checked. There is an item for playback on entry.

The only other thing to check would be to verify that the Percussion MIDI Map and Percussion Layouts are set to the same instrument. This would not affect playback but might have an impact on the notation issue. There is another topic/thread about library issues. If you haven't done so, take a look at that for steps on setting up non-pitched percussion with the ScoreManager.
Ted Boliske

sonordrum

something is certainly not right.  Shocking for me I know.  This is how everything is for me always.  So with that I'm used to it.  Everything you mentioned above I checked.  Again, when entering with a midi keyboard, the notes are sounding on the right keys that I know (Snare hits R & L are F# and G#) but it notes it as F# and G#.    All the battery is doing this.  Also, when in the Score manager and selecting Percussion notation, then edit, the snare line was selected as Bass Drum line.  So I changed that, but it did nothing different at all in sounds or notation.

When i click with the mouse to enter a note it makes NO Sound.  Also while hovering over pitches, it does not say the name of the note, just "Custom #"  If that helps.

I'll spend another night reading other posts and trying their procedures, but I have gone over other posts and nothing has yet to work.  I need to get working on my actual music!!! AHG!!!

thanks for your time TBoliske.

TBoliske

Kent,

Read the thread 'Unable to load Lib'. There is a detailed reply from my with the steps to getting playback and notation to work together. I think you are missing the Percussion MIDI Maps column in your view of the ScoreManager. You can customize this view in the lower right corner of the ScoreManager box. It does appear as though you're missing just 1 step.
Ted Boliske

sonordrum

I've gone through this thread before, but when I read this

"3.Under the Percussion MIDI Map column, click the file name that is presently listed, this opens up the list available Percussion MIDI Maps (the XML files), scroll to FIN12_VDL255 Battery and select SnareLine Manual"

I have no idea where this is.  Everything else I can find.

sonordrum

I think I got it.

In the Score manager, I had to click "Customize view" THEN select midi map.  This made the percussion midi map column appear where I could THEN select the appropriate "template" that I was using.  After selecting Kontakt 5 and loading the right sound in the right channel.

Wow, that's a lot of under the hood tinkering to get in the car and drive.  For a program I've been using since 1996, I feel like a Rookie again.

Okay, I'm out.  Hopefully to start writing the coolest drum line stuff evar.  Or at least something that makes the kids sound good.

thanks!

TBoliske

Kent,

Glad to hear things are working. The ScoreManager is new, so it will take time to get comfortable with its features. The templates should have that custom view set. This may be something I'll need to look at updating within the ReadMe file.
Ted Boliske

vitada

Thank you!  I was having a similar problem, but did not realize I needed to check "customize view" for my Percussion MIDI Maps! I read your journey and "BINGO!"

I thought I was going insane...

Sincerely,

David Vita

Quote from: sonordrum on July 01, 2012, 10:44:30 PM
I think I got it.

In the Score manager, I had to click "Customize view" THEN select midi map.  This made the percussion midi map column appear where I could THEN select the appropriate "template" that I was using.  After selecting Kontakt 5 and loading the right sound in the right channel.

Wow, that's a lot of under the hood tinkering to get in the car and drive.  For a program I've been using since 1996, I feel like a Rookie again.

Okay, I'm out.  Hopefully to start writing the coolest drum line stuff evar.  Or at least something that makes the kids sound good.

thanks!

TBoliske

David,

Glad to hear you found the answer. If possible, remember to check this in the next round of testing.
Ted Boliske