Author
Topic: Vibraphone cymbal notation?

sonordrum

Hi,
Using the the template for VDL 2.5.5 for the Vibraphone and I want to notate a cymbal hit, but it only notates it as the actual pitch (way above the staff) .  Not sure how to fix this so it just looks like - I don't know, an G on top of the staff as an "X".  I know this used to work back in the day.  Seems pretty basic.  I'm actually working on a full percussion score, and everything has worked well up until this.

thanks

TBoliske

Using the Staff Tool, highlight the region or count containing the cymbal strike, go to the Staff Menu, Apply Staff Style, and select Rhythmic Notation. This will make that region of the measure a single line staff with the note now appearing as rhythmic notation similar to reading a drum set chart with ensemble hits. The note actually entered will be hidden and playback will match the actual pitch. This method works if you use the suspended cymbal sounds mapped above the vibes and marimba instruments as well as when you are using one of the other non-pitched instruments of combos. Let me know if you wish to use something other than the map suspended cymbals (those with the vibes and marimba). It's not complicated, just needs a couple of extra steps.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

sonordrum

I don't think that will work for me.  I am for example trying to have a cymbal hit & a pitch exist on the same 8th note.  Right hand hits a cymbal while left hand hits an F for example.  This methode would change them both no?

TBoliske

Ok, that does change things a bit. You could try placing the cymbal hit in Layer 2 and adjust the visual with a staff style. I presume you're using FIN12. Give me until tomorrow to play with it and figure out a solution. I'd also suggest going to the Finale forums/Mac and look for my thread about mid-measure instrument change. The solution from Zuill is what I think should work. Understand the real challenges is that you want 2 different sounds played where one of them is mapped outside of the instruments range. If playback is not important, you could always add a G or even an A above the staff and change the notehead. Place the 'cymbal' note in Layer 1 and the Vibe note in Layer 2, Use the Finale plugins to hide the unwanted rests, and Special Tools to change the notehead for the cymbal strike.
Ted Boliske

sonordrum

Finale 12

yeah I think this has always been my work around.  Not ideal of course but now I remember doing just this.  Not sure how else you could do it I guess.

Now I want to learn more about the "Hide unwanted rests".  When using multi layers, I HATE the rests positions Finale dictates.  Usually puts notes that are high on the staff rests near the bottom and vice versa, think writing bass 5 and bass 1 as seperate groves.  Never looks right.  I'm looking around the plug-ins but not finding it.

thanks

TBoliske

Plug-Ins > Notes, Beams, and Rests > Notes and Rests (Hide)

Make certain you have 'Show Active Layer Only' checked under the Document Menu. I would place which ever instrument is highest up on the staff in Layer 1 because it defaults to stems up. Then the other instrument in Layer 2 and it will default to stems down because there are notes in Layer 1. The stems direction change won't happen until notes are in both layers so don't panic if they don't switch directions from the get go.
Ted Boliske

sonordrum

but then that hides all the notes in that measure (on that layer) too.  Not just the rests.  Using the move rests plug-in works semi well after putting the notes in the right layers like you suggested. (top in L1 and bottom in 2)

TBoliske

Just select those counts which need to be hidden in the layers that have them. It is possible to select partial measures with this plug-in.
Ted Boliske