Author
Topic: Suspended Cymbal(s) notation

JeffDavis0

I can't figure out how to notate (the) three different cymbals on one staff using the top, middle, and bottom lines.  I notice that in the Chinas each size has its own line, but that doesn't seem to be the case with the sus. cymbs.  Even if I choose, "All", I am limited to the top line.  Is there a solution to this that won't require the use of hidden voices and instrument changes?  I hope!  Thanks.  Jeff.

Hugh Smith

Hi Jeff

When using the SusCym All instrument, the top line is the only one used. To access the different sized cymbals, use the Staff Text that's listed on page 38 of the Maps file (assuming you're using VDL Template 7.0a).

(Instead of having each cymbal on its own line, I programmed sound ID changes into the sound set so we could have a cleaner layout in the mapping - this also contributes to better consistency with the individual instruments.)

Hugh
Hugh Smith

JeffDavis0

I tried this Hugh, but it ends up with a lot of verbiage cluttering the part that the performer has to contend with when it seems to me that simply locating each sus cym on its own line is a far more readable solution for a musician.  Is there any way you can think of that I can easily produce this?  In a previous score I put the changes in as text for voice 1, hid voice one, then used voice two as the one the performer would see.  Voice two is a non-playing line.  It was just a lot of what seemed to me redundant work.

I would like to know if there's a simple, elegant way to do that.

Jeff

Hugh Smith

Quote from: Hugh Smith
(Instead of having each cymbal on its own line, I programmed sound ID changes into the sound set so we could have a cleaner layout in the mapping - this also contributes to better consistency with the individual instruments.)

My bad, I was only partially right on this. The various sustained/crescendo rolls use sound ID changes, but not the All cymbal sizes, those are set to CC1 values in the Dictionary.

Jeff, it is possible to make a version that has what you want, but I don't think I would call it "elegant" - well, the result maybe, but not the process of getting there. You would need to go into the mapping and triplicate each entry (total of three for each sound) and place the duplicates on their own line/space. Then, you would need to go into the sound set and basically do the same thing, add the necessary CC1 values to each one, make sure each sound ID was unique, rename the Program Names so you can spot them in Edit Instruments, and reassign the IDs for each of the duplicates that were made (you could get away with not changing the Input Using Pitch, just make sure the same one matches whatever the original had). Once that's all done, then begin the testing part to make sure it all worked, especially the switching for the rolls.

Option 2: I suppose you could skip the sound set editing part and still have the notes on three lines. You'd still need to use the Staff Text in the score for playback, but you could then hide all of them for the reader.

Does that make sense?

Hugh
Hugh Smith

JeffDavis0

Hi Hugh,

I'll work through this and see if it works.  Thanks for the information.  I'll let you know if there are snags.

Jeff