Author
Topic: Tenor Shots

jwillis

Hi,

I recently upgraded to Sibelius 7.1.2 and purchased the VDL Sibelius template from you guys. I really love it so far but I am still getting used to it and figuring out more and more things.  I have run into an issue where I can't get the tenorline (manual) to playback shots on any of the drums. I have tried both Cross (ornate) (29) and Cross (ornate) (51) for the notehead and have had no luck getting it to playback. The shots work fine using Cross (ornate)(29) notehead within the Snareline (manual). Like I said, I'm a newbie to the template, so I very well could be leaving out something simple. Any thoughts?

I am using...
Mac OSX 10.6.3 Snow Leopard
Sibelius 7.1.2
Virtual Drumline 2.5
Kontakt Player 5
Sib_VDL_Template 7.0a

Thanks so much for your help! I love the template!

Jesse Willis

Hugh Smith

Hi Jesse, welcome to the forum.

What sound do those actually produce?

It sounds like you may have some Staff Text on the TenorLine staff that is interfering with the shot noteheads. The easiest way to take care of it is to uncheck the Play On Pass in the Inspector (Home > Edit > Inspector) for just that Staff Text item.

Hugh Smith

jwillis

Thanks for the quick reply Hugh!

I am not getting any sound on playback of the tenor shots at all.  There's no sound when I try to input or move over the notes with the Cross notehead either.   I don't have any staff text in the score right now.

Jesse

Hugh Smith

Exactly which TenorLine instrument are you using in the score? And, can you attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration?

Here's an example:

Hugh Smith

jwillis

I am using the TenorLine manual. The shots I written so far are on spock (Sp 2) but I also tried shots on drums 1-4 and there is no sound on any of them. I have attached the playback config screen shot as well as a screen shot of the mixer and tenor lick that has the shots that aren't responding. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!

Jesse

Hugh Smith

I don't see anything in the images that could be causing it. Can you send me the file? (Sent you a PM.)
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

Hi Jesse

The file seemed to playback just fine for me, including all the TenorLine shots.

I did notice, though, that the SnareLine Manual, TenorLine Manual and BassLine Manual instrument definitions each has had extra entries added to their mappings by Sibelius (info on and the fix for this). I don't think that's causing the playback issue with the shots, but it could hamper note input when using a MIDI keyboard.

The only thing I can think of right now to help the shots is for you to make a screen cast recording of what you're seeing (or be as detailed in an explanation as to what that would show). All the way from just after Sibelius launch through playback of where the shots aren't playing correctly. Isolating that staff may help also.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

jwillis

Hugh,

When I go into the Edit Staff Type menu (for the TenorLine Manual) I see what you are talking about with the additional entries. Also, none of the shots playback when I click on them. I read the threads which said I should delete the extra entries...Should I also manipulate (delete/change) the Shots (Cross Ornate 29 & 51) that don't playback when I click on them?

I also noticed that the only other noteheads that don't playback when I click on them in the Edit Staff Type Menu are the rim clicks (Cross 1 & 40).

Thanks,

Jesse

Hugh Smith

Quote from: jwillis on July 24, 2012, 09:47:15 AM
When I go into the Edit Staff Type menu (for the TenorLine Manual) I see what you are talking about with the additional entries. Also, none of the shots playback when I click on them. I read the threads which said I should delete the extra entries...Should I also manipulate (delete/change) the Shots (Cross Ornate 29 & 51) that don't playback when I click on them?

I also noticed that the only other noteheads that don't playback when I click on them in the Edit Staff Type Menu are the rim clicks (Cross 1 & 40).

You'll want to NOT delete anything other than the Sibelius-added extra bits.

Oh, I just realized what you're missing. You need to update VDL to version 2.5.5. The shot and rim sounds have had additional entries added to the library NKI file and those sounds are now being triggered in the bottom two octaves. If you were to place rim sounds into your score you'd see the same behavior as the shots. Once you upgrade you should be good to go with those existing scores.

Hugh
Hugh Smith