Author
Topic: Kontakt 5

mmaize

I just purchased a new Macbook Pro and installed Finale 2012, Kontakt 5 and VDL 2.5.5 on it. Every time I open one of thewritescore.com templates in Finale, it says I am missing Kontakt 4, and every time I start writing music, for example for snare drum, all that comes out are buzzes. I already set up the sounds in Kontakt 5 and in the score manager in Finale like I use to on my old computer. So, how do I fix this?

Thanks,

Mike

TBoliske

Mike,

The "missing device" issue is not a problem. When the templates were originally created that was probably the most common or recent version of Kontakt and the templates were set to use it by default. You can a;ways open a clean template, set the device to Kontakt 5, then resave to the templates folder.

The buzz instead of hits issue is probably related to which percussion midi map and percussion layouts you've selected. Percussion midi maps are assigned using the column on the far right side of the score manager. Layouts are assigned using the notation button found in the lower right corner of the score manager. This part is very similar to what was found in staff attributes using previous versions of Finale.

Let us know if this helps and if you have any additional questions.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

mmaize

Thanks for the reply Ted.

Unfortunately I am still having issues with the sounds. When I open any of the three TWS templates, and I go into "Audio Units Banks and Effects" in Finale, a pop up comes up and it tells me Kontakt 4 is missing and it asks me if I want Finale to replace the missing sounds. I have selected yes and no in different times to see if it would fix the sounds but it didnt. I have assigned the correct instrument in Kontakt 5 to the instruments in score manager and with the correct channels and still no sounds. For example, when I am trying to write for marching snare drum, all that comes up is no sounds at all and random buzz sounds when I scroll down through the sounds on the snare drum line in Finale.

TBoliske

Are you also selecting the correct Percussion MIDI Map and Percussion Layouts in the Score Manager? Loading the instruments in to Kontakt is the first step, you will then need to assign the midi maps and layouts for everything to work correctly.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

mmaize

Yes I did all of that. I did all of these when I wrote music on my old computer. I am doing all of the same steps on my new computer but it is not working.

mmaize

I have fixed the issue. For some reason in the score manager, the percussion MIDI maps tab on the far right was not showing up. I selected to show it and fixed the issue. Thanks for your help Ted!