Author
Topic: I Just Need A Lot Of Help

skyel

Okay, so right now, nothing is going right for me. I just spent about $230 on VDL and these the templates for Finale 2012, and I can't get ANYTHING to work right. All my issues, however, I don't know whether I should ask here or on the Finale 2012 forum, so I'm gonna try here first. I followed all the steps on everything I downloaded. So first:

I can't get any of the Template files to appear when trying to access them through Finale. In fact, nothing that I downloaded from here can be seen at all through Finale. I don't know what is causing this problem.

Second Problem: (This is definitely the wrong place to ask, but since I'm here, might as well try.)

I can't get Kontakt Player 5 to appear as a device in the Score Manager. I can't get the VDL files to work with the ARIA player, so this is a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated; I'm just trying to be able to use what I paid for. Thanks in advance!

TBoliske

This is the correct place to ask for help. The finale forums will provide some assistance, but most of the users on the forums will have no experience with these templates.

Second problem first: VDL does not work with the Aria player. So the fact that you can't load VDL instruments into that player is expected. As far as why Kontakt Player 5 is not appearing as a device in Score Manager is difficult to answer. It would be helpful to know what OS you are using, Windows 7/8, Mac 10. Until I know this it is hard to tell you where to look to make certain those files were loaded into the correct location(s).

First problem second: Again with out knowing your computer specs it is difficult to know where to look. Presuming they are placed inside of the default Finale templates folder, it's generally a simple matter of making sure Finale is looking to the same folder.

Let us know your computer specs and I can get back to you with better information.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

skyel

I'm using Windows 8. I figured that VDL wasn't compatible with ARIA since it's a Garritan Product. If it helps, I also have all hidden folders shown.

skyel

I solved one of my problems! I got Kontakt to show up as a device! But now I still need the templates to show up.

TBoliske

Glad to hear you solved the Kontakt issue. To find the templates, go the Finale Preferences. On the Mac side these can be found under the Finale Menu. Check the Finale Help Guide for Windows 8, as the templates were completed prior to Windows 8 being released.

In the Preferences box that appears, select Folders from the list.

Check the box for Templates, then click the Templates button. This will send you to the default location for templates.   

If your templates are not located here, either navigate to the Finale location where they are stored or copy the templates to this default location.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Ted Boliske

skyel

Quote from: TBoliske on April 01, 2013, 12:21:00 PM

Check the box for Templates, then click the Templates button. This will send you to the default location for templates.   

If your templates are not located here, either navigate to the Finale location where they are stored or copy the templates to this default location.

First of all, there is no check-box next to templates. Second of all, the templates are there, but I can't see them from Finale.

skyel

Here is a picture of the preferences menu.

TBoliske

As I said, previously, Windows 8 was not available for testing. However, you do have a Browse button to the right of the template folder location. Click there and verify that the templates are in that folder.

How are you searching/opening the templates? If you use the File > New from Templates it should direct you to this folder.

To keep things simple, I'm going to only answer in this forum and not the Finale forum at the same time.
Ted Boliske

skyel

I didn't even realize that you were also helping me on the Finale forum. . .

. . . I just realized what the problem was. The default folder was an identical folder but in a different place than I thought. I changed it to the right folder. Thank you for all your help, and sorry for the trouble!

TBoliske

No problems and glad you've got it solved. This issue with finding the templates is usually a result of mixing up the default location for these files. They are installed at both the root and user levels. But changes, like adding VDL templates, only affects one of these folders, not both.
Ted Boliske