Author
Topic: Finale 2012 Bank Patch

cabrannan

I could use some coaching through the Expression Patch bank change process.

Right now I have a Bank loaded with 001 - Vibes, 002 - Zil-Bel, 003 - Impact Drums.

Want to start off with Impact Drums and then move to Bells.

I have tried other topics and forums, but haven't found a simple step-by-step guide on to how to do this successfully.

Please help!

TBoliske

I'm away from Finale at the moment, but this is the basic direction you'll want to take for using banks.

Since you want to start with an instrument not loaded into slot 1 of the bank, you will need to include a patch change expression at the start. You will also need to include a percussion midi map change expression. The process isn't complicated but requires a couple of steps to make certain things function as they should.

I'll post a more detailed set of instructions with some other option instead of using banks.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

TBoliske

Finally had time to get to my computer....and had some driver issues. Anyway, it's fixed.

To begin, I wouldn't use banks for the non-pitched percussion instrument changes. It makes assigning the percussion midi maps and layouts difficult. Instead, use the Change Instrument function found in the Utilities menu. You will want to have the Score Manager, Device, and Audio Units/VST windows open. This will allow you to assign VDL instruments Kontakt and assign the correct midi maps and layouts. You can find more information about Change Instruments in the Finale Help.

For the Vibes, using a bank works great for mallet changes and switching to other pitched percussion instruments. Just keep track of which instruments are in which slots. To use the patch change Text expressions, with the Text Expressions Tool active, click in the score where you want the change to occur, select VDL Instrument Changes, find your new instrument, click Edit>Playback>Set Value To and in the last box enter the slot number for the new instrument.

Hope this helps. Please let us know if you have more questions or need more clarification.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths