Author
Topic: Sibelius 7 - Kontakt 5 - VDL 2.5

TheMuK

Greetings,

So I'm interested in composing some battery drumline pieces. After i got a hold of all the programs, etc etc, that i needed. The playback device had been set to Kontakt 5 and the sound set to Virtual Drumline 2.5. Okay, on the blank score there is Snare, Tenor, Bass and Cymbal. All of the sounds produce are from Kontakt 5/VDL, but the problem here is that the bass sound for Bass 1 , 2 , 3 and 4 are the wrong sound. When i put a note on the first space (top space) it should produce Bass 1 normal hits but it produce a sounds kinda like a rimshots. Same goes to space 2, 3, 4. Though, the sound IS from Kontakt/VDL but i think sibelius pick the wrong sound/note (IDK). Please help me, i really want to compose my piece.
Sorry for my english (clearly it's not my native language), thanks in advance and i'm just a drumline player who interested in music theory :).

-TheMuK-

Hugh Smith

Hi TheMuk, welcome to the forum.

That kind of behavior is usually caused by not having the correct sound set assigned. Assuming you're using VDL Template 7.0a, you need to have "VDL SoundSet 7.0a" assigned to all instances of KP5/VDL in your Playback Configuration. You can review page 7 of the Readme for further clarification.
Hugh Smith

TheMuK

First of all, thanks for the reply Hugh.
Secondly... Okay, im new to this, i've seen many thread mentioning about templates. Here's the thing, i don't know what it is. So mind telling me? :)

1. What's the use of it (template)
2. How to use it / where to save em?
3. Where can i get these templates?
4. Also, what Readme? i mean, which one? where?

Thanks again in advance and do help me step by step. :)

Hugh Smith

Hmm... OK, I assumed you had purchased the VDL Template. Let me see if I can answer your questions.

1) Using it is just like any other score you'd open is Sibelius. Except, in having the Template, all the instrument definitions are already defined for you. If you had to do this all yourself, it would take you literally hundreds of hours to complete - and that is after you figure out how to do it.

2) ("How", see above.) The files that are in the package that would be downloaded can be placed anywhere on a drive your computer can see. There are Appendices at the end of the Readme that cover some intermediate/advanced type file management options.

3) Link: VDL Template 7.0a. Depending on whether you will be using other instruments besides VDL, you may also want to consider getting one of the bundles. See the product page for more.

4) The Readme file is one of the PDF documents included in the Template package. Very few people have additional questions after reading this document, but if one does ...

If you decide to purchase and use the tools I've created (Sibelius side of things), make sure to thoroughly read all the documentation (PDF files). Then, if questions still linger, or you've run into setup issues, come back here to the forum and I'll do my best to help you out.

Hugh

Hugh Smith