Author
Topic: Playback after instrument change

sklermbot

Hugh,
Trying to get a score to playback the right sounds when I change instruments.  Specifically, I'm having trouble getting the latin combo to sound when I do a 'command+option+shift+I' in the middle of the score.  The sound is loaded into Kontakt...it seems like maybe I can only use one patch per staff line?

Thanks!

sklermbot

Right now I have the congas playing in a separate staff.  The 'Conga's Manual' template seems to be having some issues.  It is playing back differently than it is inputting.  i.e. When I play the sound on my midi controller it sounds right.  It sounds right when I click on the note in sibelius, or use my arrow keys to scroll through the bar.  It does not sound right when I play it back.  Opening up the Kontakt editor, I'm finding that several keys are sounding incorrectly when I play the kontakt keyboard.  Weirdness.  I am on Sib 6 and VDL 2.5.5

Hugh Smith

Some things to check:

1) Make sure the correct sound set is applied in the Playback Configuration.

2) Are the correct articulations being applied to each note. Make sure they match the Maps file's diagrams.

3) Sibelius has corrupted your mappings and is throwing things off a bit. Again, the mappings within Sibelius can be compared to the diagrams from the Maps file. If there are some "extra" entries - usually assigned to Use Input Pitch F#1 - they can be removed. Or, you can maybe send me a file to look at.

You can, theoretically, have an unlimited number of Instrument changes on any given staff. If you're having trouble with the first bar of the Instrument Change sounding correctly, move the Instrument Change's rectangular box to the left a couple of pixels.
Hugh Smith

sklermbot

Hugh,
The regular accents on the open tones caused a problem with the playback, which I can now see on the template note map. 

May I suggest:
Use a tenuto marking for open tone playback
               or
Don't have the accent automatically switch the open tone to a bass tone.

As far as the switching instruments is concerned, I just had the mixer set to a specific instrument instead of 'auto'.  Duh.

Don't know if you like this type of feedback is at all helpful, but hopefully it isn't a nuisance. 

THANKS!

Hugh Smith

Quote from: sklermbot on July 09, 2013, 08:08:47 PM
The regular accents on the open tones caused a problem with the playback, which I can now see on the template note map. 
May I suggest:
Use a tenuto marking for open tone playback
               or
Don't have the accent automatically switch the open tone to a bass tone.

Those are Input Variables. You can remove them from the mapping - or change them to something else - if you'd like.

Yes, any and all feedback is graciously received. I'll put that on the list of possible things to change if ever an update is released.

Thanks
Hugh
Hugh Smith

sklermbot

If only I had any idea how to remove or change mapping.  :)

Hugh Smith

Hi Ben

In Sibelius 6 go to House Style > Edit Instruments > - VDL Template 7.0a > World Percussion (or a different Family) > select an instrument, click Edit Instrument, then click Edit Staff Type. From the Percussion tab, scroll over to what matches EXACTLY as what the Maps diagram shows, select it, then modify/delete. OK, OK, Close, save file. I've attached an image that may help.
Hugh Smith