Author
Topic: Audio Engine Error

Houston Youngman

Hi,

I haven't started Sibelius up in a couple of days, and while I was gone, I guess.. something, somewhere, malfunctioned or changed. Now, whenever I open up Sibelius, it will scan my VST plug-ins like normal, however, when it gets to the Kontakt 5.dll, it will give me a message saying "Audio Engine Error: Bad settings."

I haven't messed with my audio engine, and I'm wondering if it was the actual .dll file, since it would scan that file then give me the error. However, I removed the file, and it did the same thing. After I exit the error message, I can open up any score I want, however my VDL templates/soundsets are gone from my Playback Configuration. I tried going into the Sounds folder and dragging the template soundset back in there, and I have gotten the same result. Once I open up a score that uses VDL, I obviously get no audio because I don't have any sound sets. I believe I also tried putting in notes with the "General (MIDI)" configuration and got nothing as well. Sibelius doesn't even play its little orchestral "jingle" when it opens up anymore. I guess this isn't a Kontakt issue, but an audio issue. However, I haven't changed anything. I've attached a few screenshots that will hopefully help with the problem. If you could help, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Screenshots:

HY-1: This is what the error message looks like when it pops up.
HY-2: This is what is being scanned when the message appears, but once I removed it, I still got the message.
HY-3: Everything except the Microsoft Wave Synth is gone from my Playback Configuration
HY-4: Here is my Audio Engines window, the same as it was before.

Thanks again in advance!

-Houston
I am running macOS Sierra on a 2016 MacBook Pro with Sibelius 8.5 and Virtual Drumline 2.5.5

Houston Youngman

Hugh Smith

Hi Houston

I've not seen that message before. The first thing that comes to mind is to trash the old/current dll files and copy fresh ones over. The other thing you might need to do is trash your Playback Configurations - these are known to become corrupted on occasion. The configs are in the Sibelius User's folder (Windows): C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Sibelius 7, then just delete the entire "Playback Configurations" folder. Sibelius will re-create the folder again upon restart. You'll have to then create whatever configs you want again.

Let me know how you get on.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

Houston Youngman

Hi Hugh,

I removed the folder, and then when I restarted Sibelius, the problem was still there, telling me about the audio engine. I copied brand new .dll files into the VST folder, and the problem was also there. You have anything else, perhaps? Thanks.

Houston
I am running macOS Sierra on a 2016 MacBook Pro with Sibelius 8.5 and Virtual Drumline 2.5.5

Houston Youngman

Houston Youngman

I restarted my computer, and I found a program running in the background. I don't know what it was, but I guess it was messing with the audio engine. After I closed it and restarted, everything turned out normal. Sorry for making a big deal over nothing, Hugh. Thanks for the help nonetheless!

Houston Youngman

Hugh Smith

Ah, the proverbial restart saves the day! Excellent!
Hugh Smith