Author
Topic: Correct percussion library file for Mac?

rgrifa

I noticed that when I was following the directions for the installation of the 2012a.1 template files, the Percussion Library file didn't look the same as in the screenshots (Mac 10.8.4). I did a Get Info and it said it was an exe file, not a Finale Library file. The attached screenshot is of the file in the template files folder for Mac OS. Is this correct? Thanks!

Bob

Finale 2012
VDL 2.5.5

TBoliske

Bob,

This happens occasionally when the library file moves from Windows to Mac. It is nothing to really be concerned about because the library is already loaded into the Finale template files. It is included only as an extra item. 
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

rgrifa

Ted, thanks for the reply. I am interested in the statement in the directions saying that the Library would help someone who didn't have VDL. This is part of my quest in understanding how this works. It is fairly common that a wind score is written and then given to the percussion arranger who then does the work in VDL (or some variation of that). Given this scenario, how does someone (director) listen to the score in its entirety if that person doesn't have VDL?

Bob

TBoliske

Without VDL it isn't possible to listen to the score directly from the Finale file. The Percussion Library is included so that someone with VDL could continue to work on a score that doesn't include the Library. In other words, the wind arranger (who may not have VDL or is not using a template) could hand his Finale file to the percussion arranger (who presumably does have VDL and the templates). The percussion arranger would then be able to add staves to the wind score and continue writing using VDL for playback. The percussion arranger would need to load the Percussion Library to the wind score for this to work correctly. This is just 1 way for the 2 different arrangers to collaborate when one doesn't have VDL.

To answer the question, how does someone without VDL hear the percussion parts, save the file as an audio file.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths