Author
Topic: Using VDL maps in old scores

Drum Corps Nerd

So I bought VDL and the sound maps  and I was trying to see if I could add the sound maps to old compositions and so far I can't find a way to. Can anyone help me? I really don't want to do that Score merger option.

Details:
Finale 2012
VDL 2.5.5
Windows 7

TBoliske

If the old scores were created without VDL then the answer is no, you can't just add the maps to old scores and have it play back correctly. there are two components to the Finale templates. The first is the XML files. These assign/match names from the VDL collection to the various midi notes to which the sounds are mapped. This is so that Finale knows which sound to playback when a specific midi note is used. The second part is the percussion layouts. These take the various sounds (note names from the XML files) and place them (lay them out) on the appropriate staff and assign noteheads for the sounds. The XML files should note be edited. The sounds assigned to the different midi notes is done by the guys at Tapspace. The percussion layouts can be edited for staff placement (different lines or spaces) and notehead selection.

The simplest solution is to reenter the non-pitched percussion parts. You can copy/paste and pitched percussion. Do this after you have created a score that matches the old one as far as number of measures, time and key signatures, etc.

Let us know if you have any more questions.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

Drum Corps Nerd

Could you also tell me if it is possible to load multiple blank templates on the same document.

TBoliske

Loading multiple templates on the same document isn't possible because each template is a Finale document. The purpose of the blank or default template files is to allow the end user to create an individualized custom score from scratch. Without the need to create all of the supporting files such as the XML percussion MIDI Maps, the Percussion Layouts, or text expressions.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths