Author
Topic: VDL MIDI Maps Not Working

Maestro

Hi All,
So I recently [forever ago] installed the Write Score templates for Finale 2012 [2.5.5] and I've had no luck so far at all using them with Finale. The percussion maps do not show up in the settings for "Percussion Layout Section", but will show up in the Score Manager's "Perc Midi Map" section, to which they appear. However, when putting in notes into the score, there is no layout change/no map and there's definitely no playback [even after setting up Kontakt 5 correctly]. I really need help in implementing VDL into my scores that way I can actually hear a playback with percussion instruments in a more formatted design.
Please let me know what I need to do to hear the playback and to be able to have it appear decent enough--Whenever I try to create my own percussion map, none of the VDL sounds appear within the percussion map settings--just the pre-installed sounds that came with Finale.
Many thanks,
Niko

Macbook Pro- OS X 10.8.5
Finale 2012c.r13
VDL 2.5.5
Kontakt 5

TBoliske

Niko,

Are you using one of the template files which came with The Write Score package?

The Percussion MIDI Maps should only appear where you are currently seeing them. They are there for playback of the various VDL sounds. In the Percussion Layout section you should see the various layouts available for all of the non-pitched percussion instruments. If you are not seeing those files there then you are probably not using one of the template files available from The Write Score.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

Maestro

Hi Ted,
I have the template files from The Write Score package, but they do not appear in the Percussion Layout section.
-Niko

TBoliske

Niko,

With Finale open, when you go File > New from Templates, what do you see? You should see a list of available Finale templates organized by ensemble types in folders. Do you see a folder named FIN12_VDL255_Templates? The templates are actual Finale files not support files. It may be helpful to review the READ ME documents which came with The Write Score package and familiarize yourself with Finale via the online Help Guide for Finale.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths