Author
Topic: Can not see "VDL Template" in the Sibelius window

arisfro

I bought the 7.a template from here. I have Sibelius 5. Im running the VDL 2.5.2 version. I am using Kontakt player 2.5.5. using Mac OS X 10.7.5 All systems seem to be able to work with each other, Yet I can't find the Template when I pull up sibelius. I have the Kontakt player 5 AND 2 that shows up in my playback devices. Please help. I am not hearing anything when I put it on Kontakt 5 or 2.

Hugh Smith

Hi, welcome to the forum.

It will take me a bit to review and piece together my answer, but won't be able to do so until tomorrow.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

Double check you are using these exact items (versions) in your setup:

1) Sibelius 5.2.5 - You may need to be running the Sib 5.4 update for Mac OS 10.7.5, but I'm not sure. See http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/upgrades.html for compatibility notes and download links.

2) Virtual Drumline 2.5.2 - You're stuck with VDL 2.5.2 in Sib 5 since Kontakt Player 4 is the minimum required for VDL 2.5.5. When you finally do upgrade to VDL 2.5.5, you'll most likely be forced to upgrade Sibelius to version 7.1.3, which is OK since you'd be running the latest at that point anyway.

3) Kontakt Player 2 - The latest KP2 update that I know of is version 2.2.4. Neither KP4 nor KP5 are compatible with Sib 5.

4) VDL SoundSet 7.0a - This XML file ("VDL_SoundSet_7.0a.xml") goes in /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Sibelius Software/Sibelius 5/Sounds.

5) "VDL_Template_7.0a.sib" - Until you create a new Manuscript Paper from this file, you won't see it when you create a File > New within Sibelius. Instructions for creating a Manuscript Paper in Sib 5 is on page 25 of the Readme. Another option is to make a copy of this file for each new writing project.

Remember that you'll not be able to use the new-to-2.5.5 template instrument definitions since you're not running that library version. Again, upgrading software will take care of that too.

If you still have troubles after all this, please attach screen shots of what you see, including shots of: your Playback Configuration, file system contents, and/or whatever else you think needs looking at. Oh, and you may want to read the Readme again, just in case.

Late
Hugh
Hugh Smith

arisfro

Thank you for the feedback. I just bought the Sibelius 7.5 upgrade yesterday and have just installed it via download. How do I now get my VDL to run in Sibelius 7.5? I don't see a folder (Sibelius 7.5) to place all the files in like I did with Sibelius 5. Where should I start and how do I do it?

Hugh Smith

Are you still running on OS X 10.7.5? If so...

The sound set XML file goes in: /Users/yourusername/~Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius 7.5/Sounds.

Are you able to create a new Playback Configuration with KP5 activated and "VDL SoundSet 7.0a" applied to it?
Hugh Smith

arisfro

Great. I moved the file to the appropriate location but I had to add a "Sounds" folder in the Sibelius 7.5 folder. Now, Im not sure what to do as far as creating a new Playback Configuration. the Kontakt Player is confusing. don't think I have applied VDL to Kontakt 5 either.

Hugh Smith

Please attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration.

Should look something like the instructions on page 7 of the Readme.
Hugh Smith

arisfro

/Users/arilozano/Desktop/Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 11.58.30 AM.png

/Users/arilozano/Desktop/Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 11.58.37 AM.png

If this is right then I think the problem is in Kontakt 5.

arisfro

Here

arisfro

Here

Hugh Smith

The second image is the one you want, and it looks good. (There is no need at all to use Manual Sound Sets with this template.)

Open one of the TriggerTest files and see if it plays back as expected.

If you think there's a problem with Kontakt Player, can you load VDL patches into it when in stand alone mode?

And another thorough pass of the Readme may be warranted.
Hugh Smith

arisfro

I might have this all down right. the problem remains that when I add a bass note in my new score that has all the right settings... The sound that I want is not there. They are all clicking sounds like a rim knock.

I just learned how to do a trigger test and it all works. but I don't know how to apply it to my score.

Im pretty sure i have patches in my Kontakt player Ill send you shots of it.

arisfro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7gyadhUGMk

this is what I was learning from. at 1:52 I think i mess up. I can't seem to get Sibelius to load them. no sure...

Hugh Smith

Are you adding instruments to the score from the "- VDL Template 7.0a" Ensemble?
Hugh Smith

arisfro

no i don't know how to do that