Author
Topic: Mallet rolls

joelwilliams

Hello All,

I'm pretty new to using a template.  All seems to function as expected except for the mallet rolls vibes, xylo, marimba.  They playback sounding like an electric door buzzer.

I've read the Readme.pdf
Added .xml files to sound folder
Set up the playback configuration to use S7S SoundSet 7.1a
opened the template
added instruments from the S7S Template 7.1a drop down

Drum sounds work. 
mallet rolls sound not good.

I'm open to an assist here.

Thanks!  Joel

Sibelius 7.1.3
macbook pro 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mac OSX 10.92
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Ox2 USB MIDI controller M-Audio

Sibelius 7.1.3
Mac OSX 10.92
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Hugh Smith

Hi Joel, welcome to the forum.

What articulation are you putting on the mallet notes?

Hugh
Hugh Smith

joelwilliams

Hi Hugh,

I have tried 4 tremolos and 8 tremolos  as well as 'z'.

Joel
Sibelius 7.1.3
Mac OSX 10.92
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Hugh Smith

Have you tried opening one of the mallet TriggerTest files to see if it does it there? If not, give that a go.
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

My bad, just remembered that you have S7S. Instead of "TriggerTest", go with "PlayTest".
Hugh Smith

joelwilliams

Hugh,

Same result from the "play test" percussion pitched file.

Please see the enclosed image file of the marimba blasting away at volume 100.  Included in the shot is a view of the monitor.  I made no adjustments to the default playback instruments.

Thanks for your help.

Joel
Sibelius 7.1.3
Mac OSX 10.92
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

joelwilliams

Still looking for a way to great sounding mallet rolls.  Anyone with experience?

Thanks in advance.

Joel
Sibelius 7.1.3
Mac OSX 10.92
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Hugh Smith

Joel, please send me a copy of the problem file. (Sent you a PM.)

Oh, and to make sure, please attach (here) a screen shot of your Playback Configuration.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

joelwilliams

Playback config.

Joel
Sibelius 7.1.3
Mac OSX 10.92
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Hugh Smith

Hi Joel. Thanks for the files you sent me - that was all I needed. And the Playback Configuration looks good too.

The examples in the PlayTest files show what's available in the library for a given instrument. And you hopefully noticed that the mallet patches in the S7S library don't have sampled rolls, as in, they don't have that variation for a sound ID change. (Make sense?)

However, there are work arounds for producing good/better sounding rolls. Which one of these you would employ will most likely depend on the tempo of the section and/or the exact instrument:

1) Just place a 2-slash on an eighth note or 3-slash on a quarter. Avoid the "z". This is still "the generic Sibelius tremolo", but may be enough in a given situation.

2) Meter the roll yourself. For example, instead of putting a 3-slash tremolo on a quarter note - which produces 8 evenly subdivided sounds - turn that note into a sextuplet.

3) When doing a two mallet roll across two pitches, separate out each hand/mallet onto its own layer. See attached 'Mallet_1' image.

4) Three/Four mallet rolls across three/four pitches: a more complex version of number 3.

5) Use a Trill: "..., another handy method that works is to use a trill. Write the left-hand note (let's say it's middle C) and put a trill on it (create>line). Then if you want the right hand rolling on E (for example), select the trill, go to the "playback" section of the properties window, and type in a 4 in the "half steps" field for the interval. The nice thing about doing this is that you can alter the speed of the trill (say around 9 or 10 depending on range) which can give you a way to make it sound less metered and mechanical." --> See attached 'Mallet_2' image. Optional: check/uncheck Start On Upper Note.

This can even be used for single pitch rolls. Once in the Inspector, with the trill line selected, uncheck Diatonic, then change Half Steps to 0 (zero). And again, the trill Speed can be adjusted.

6) If the playback version of the roll is not what you want to display, put it into either other layers or another stave. Hide the playback version and uncheck the Play On Pass checkboxes for the display version.

TIP: once you've figured out what you may be able to "reuse", those can then be added to the Ideas palette for future accessibility.

If you'd like to have actual sampled mallet rolls, as well as way better drumline sounds, I suggest looking at Virtual Drumline - if you haven't already.

Let me know how you get on.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

joelwilliams

Hugh,

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation.  I understand what is required to achieve a better roll sound.  I tried each of your examples and ALL of them are better than the default.

I have VDL and Kontakt Player 5.  Sounds like my next move will be to get the VDL template and experiment from there.

You and your effort are very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Joel
Sibelius 7.1.3
Mac OSX 10.92
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Hugh Smith

You're welcome!

Quote from: joelwilliams on March 26, 2014, 08:29:26 PM
Sounds like my next move will be to get the VDL template and experiment from there.

When you do, send a message through the site saying you have both S7S and VDL templates and someone will help you get access to the S7S-VDL Bundle files.

Have a great day!
Hugh Smith