Author
Topic: Sib 7.5 crashes when using vdl s7s soundest & Template

fsmithmusic

Hi, i'm having problems getting Sib to work when I am using Sib 7.5 and the template/soundset bundle I purchased from TWS.  I have copied the xml files into the Sib 7.5 folder, just like the read me pdf says to do for Sib 7.

Everytime I open up Sibelius 7.5 and then go to play - setup - load Kontakt and assign sound set.  Boom, it crashes.  I do believe I'm all updated with Kontakt and running VDL 2.5.5.   I am running Mavericks.  When I open up S7S-VDL_Bundle_7.0a_(SIB7).sib, it crashes every time.

If you can please help me figure out why it would crash every single time, I'd be grateful.  I've also reinstalled VDL 2.5.5 and the sound sets.  My next test is to uninstall sib.  Then I'm out of ideas.  Thanks!

Hugh Smith

Are you saying that Sib crashes without even loading a .sib file?
Hugh Smith

fsmithmusic

Hi Hugh, it was the weirdest thing.  I would open up a Sib. file, try to change the play settings to incorporate vdl and the s7s sound sets and it would then just crash, every time.  I basically reinstalled everything and rebuilt my template.  Now everything seems pretty stable.  Something must have happened when I upgraded to Sib 7.5.

Hugh Smith

Excellent! Thanks for letting me know you got it sorted out.
Hugh Smith

Jchapman99

I'm having the exact same problem right now setting up my template.  I'm using Sib 7.5.1, Kontakt 4.2.4, VDL 2.5.5.  I'm operating on a Mac OS 10.7.5.  My desktop allowed me to set the playback configuration but won't allow me to open the template VDL 7.0a, it crashes every single time. My laptop won't allow me to save the playback configuration, it crashes every time I try to save the configuration.  Famithmusic, I don't know if you reinstalled Sibelius, VDL, the template? Hugh I'm hoping I don't have to re-install everything and try again.  If there is any help either of you can give, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Hugh Smith

Hi Jeremy, welcome to the forum!

Quote from: Jchapman99 on July 26, 2015, 11:52:36 PM
I'm having the exact same problem right now setting up my template. ... I'm hoping I don't have to re-install everything and try again.

If you do have the same problem as fsmith, then you'll most likely need to do what he did: "basically reinstalled everything".

Recommendation: get everything working BEFORE trying to use the Template. Then if that's good, proceed with Template use.

Give it a go and report back.
Hugh Smith

Jchapman99

Hugh,

So, I've reinstalled everything.  Sibelius was working fine, and VDL in stand-alone was working fine. The problem is happening when I go into Sibelius playback and create my own playback devices.  After I created the playback device, I tried to open the template and Sibelius crashes. I retry to open Sibelius and make edits to the playback device and it crashes opening a blank staff. 

My question is, does this sound like a Sibelius issue or a communication error with the write score template?

I'm (trying) to run Sibelius 7.5.1, VDL 2.5.5, Kontakt 4.2.4, and I'm on a Mac OS 10.7.5.  Please advise. 

Hugh Smith

Quote from: Jchapman99 on August 09, 2015, 11:46:43 PM
My question is, does this sound like a Sibelius issue or a communication error with the write score template?

It's a Sibelius issue. If it was Template related, everyone would be having that issue, including me.

Quote from: Jchapman99 on August 09, 2015, 11:46:43 PM
Kontakt 4.2.4

Was this downloaded from Tapspace? It may be better to use Kontakt Player 5 in either case.

Otherwise, try:
1) Get KP5 going.

2) Close Sibelius. Delete the entire "Playback Configurations" folder from the User's directory (same place as Sounds folder). Start Sibelius. Create a new configuration with one instance of Kontakt Player/VDL. Open a TriggerTest file, hit Play. Go back and add another instance of KP/VDL to the config, proceed.

3) Do a full re-install of Sibelius.

Be systematic in your approach, i.e. try one thing at a time. Oh, and make sure to attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration(s).

Let me know how it goes.
Hugh Smith

Jchapman99

Kontakt 4.2.4 was downloaded from Tapspace.  I tried to download Kontakt 5 but apparently my system wont support the latest version of Kontakt 5. I couldn't access an earlier version of Kontakt 5.  Its system requirements are for MAC OS 10.8 and I'm running 10.7.5.

This may sound like a dumb question, but when I do a full re-install of Sibelius do I have to un-install/trash everything sibelius and reinstall all disks again?  I'm worried about losing the file with the VDL 2.5.5. 

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Jeremy.

Jchapman99

Here is the screen shot of my pathway. I don't have a "Playback Configurations" folder.  I took out the .XML soundset file.  Maybe there is something missing that I don't know about???

The actions I've taken this evening so far are; I've taken the soundset file out of the "sounds" folder, sibelius will open and work.  When I put that soundset back into the sounds folder and try to create a playback configuration, sibelius will shut down.  I can't even try to run the trigger test file. 

I haven't reinstalled Sibelius yet because I just reinstalled it yesterday so, I'm hoping this information will be helpful.  Thanks again in advance.

Jeremy

Jchapman99

Hugh,

thanks for spending time with me on this.  The solution was simple.  I don't know why it made a difference, but when I set up the playback configurations from VST to AU, everything worked (as of right now). No shut downs, playback works, etc.. I feel really small minded right now and I appreciate your patience and help.  Thanks for the great work you do with creating these templates.

Sincerely,

Jeremy

Hugh Smith

Quote from: Jchapman99 on August 10, 2015, 11:36:21 PM
... I don't know why it made a difference, but when I set up the playback configurations from VST to AU, everything worked (as of right now).

Yes, always use AU over VST when on Mac. I would still like to see a screen shot of your Playback Configuration.

Quote from: Jchapman99 on August 10, 2015, 10:08:59 PM
Here is the screen shot of my pathway. I don't have a "Playback Configurations" folder.  I took out the .XML soundset file.  Maybe there is something missing that I don't know about???

That is not the Sibelius users folder. For you it is at:
/Users/jeremydchapman/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius 7.5/Sounds

For more, read Installing A Sound Set. If you can't find the Library folder: Mac OSX hidden Library folder

I've attached an image of what my path looks like. The small red circle denotes the "Sibelius Users Folder" - I have three on this machine. The large circle is what should be in each one (maybe slight differences).

Anyway, glad to hear it's working Jeremy.
Hugh Smith