Author
Topic: Random Audio Change??

sivtec00

Well pretty frustrated.

I am using the VDL 7.0a Template with Sibelius 7 with Kontakt 5.

I had everything working just fine, both Sibelius 7 sounds (for the winds) and VDL sounds working for the drumline. I was inputting notes into the snareline(auto) (a diddle to be specific) and out of no where the sus cym (zildjian) starts playing. I have tried EVERYTHING to get it back to the way it was. Its very strange.

When you open the Mixer for Sib you see that its using Kontakt 5 for the snare line but when you open the Kontakt player it shows sus cym as the first audio channel. Even when you hover over the name (in the mixer) it says its using the suspended cymbal. NO IDEA why its doing this.

So my thought after awhile trying to troubleshoot, I'll just add another Snareline(Auto) and copy and paste. SUCCESS! I add a new snareline (with the VDL template) copy and paste the notes and everything works fine, EVEN the initial line that had an issue. Go back and erase the one having the issue (so I don't have two Snarelines), right back to square one, sus cym.

Also if I force that channel to play the snareline (Auto) output it plays back a weak buzz roll for every note.

Please help!

sivtec00

Also found a way for a temp fix, if I add an instrument change and select the snare (auto) it works. So it almost seems like Sibelius thinks there is an instrument change to Sus Cym, but I assure you after scouring my score, there are no instrument changes anywhere on the snare line.

Hugh Smith

How many instances of KP5 do you have activated (with VDL SoundSet 7.0a assigned)? If not enough instances are available to handle all the instrument changes there may be, Sibelius will do the best it can to compensate.

In the Mixer, I see that the SnareLine and BassLine are not set to (Auto) for their respective Patches. I recommend doing so. (Pages 7 and 8 of the Readme for more on that.)

You may want to trash/delete, or at least make a new Playback Configuration - sometimes they can become corrupted. And again, make sure you have enough instances of VDL.

Let me know how you get on.

Oh, please attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

sivtec00

Hey Hugh,

Thanks for the reply. I am currently at work so I will do some things when I get home. I am almost positive that if you hover over the names in the mixer they all say AutoRL but I will double check.

As far as the playback configuration. I think your on to something. your probably 100% correct if I understand you correctly. If open the Playback Configuration in Sibelius (mine is called specifically VDL2) I have an instance of Sibelius 7 Sounds (for the horns) and Kontakt 5 (VDL Soundset 7.0a). If I understand correctly I should have more VDL soundset devices in my current configuration. I will definitely check that out. If so, how many do I need to add and they should all be labeled the same right, Kontakt 5 ___ VDL Soundset 7.0a?

Hugh Smith

Quote from: sivtec00 on June 18, 2014, 04:11:16 PM
I am almost positive that if you hover over the names in the mixer they all say AutoRL but I will double check.

Not exactly. What is designated as "(Auto)" in Sibelius is not the same thing as VDL's AutoRL. The Template is designed to make full use of Sibelius' auto-load feature. Ideally, everything in the Mixer for Device and Patch settings should have parenthesis around them. Coupled with how the instruments are defined and the specificity in which Sibelius wants to load patches, merely having a certain instrument in the score will load the exact corresponding patch into KP5. When you get back home, be sure to review the Using Multiple Libraries section on pages 7 and 8 of the Readme.

Quote from: sivtec00 on June 18, 2014, 04:11:16 PM
... how many do I need to add and they should all be labeled the same right, Kontakt 5 ___ VDL Soundset 7.0a?

That will depend on how many VDL instruments you have in the score, with instrument changes. I've seen some people have 4 or 5 instances of VDL (though at some point you may run out of memory past 100 :) ). Yes, that is the correct labeling - all VDL/KP5 instances will have the same sound set assigned.

Even though you might go back and forth between two instruments on one staff, Sibelius could still allocate 3, 4 or more slots for them. I recommended creating a new Playback Configuration because after a score has been worked in for a while, Sibelius can sometimes get "confused" as to what and where gets loaded. I suppose it's kind of a workaround for a configuration "reset".

That should get you squared away. Let me know.
Hugh Smith