Author
Topic: Can't load proper sounds into Sibelius

sizzlecrash

Hello,

I am working with a MacBook Pro OS X Version 10.7.5
Sibelius 7 (not 7.5)
Virtual Drumline 2.5.5
Kontakt Player 5
Sibelius VDL Template 7.0a (The Write Score)

I have followed all of the instructions for putting the template into Sibelius, but here are the problems I have encountered: when trying to find the directory you listed (Sib 7: /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius 7/Sounds), the final "Sounds" folder didn't exist- it existed in the larger "Avid" folder, so I assume it must have been moved at some point accidentally. So I put it back into the "Sibelius 7" folder, and was thus able to copy the "VDL_SoundSet_7.0a.xml" file into the proper folder. I am good so far?

The problem lies within Sibelius, now: I went to Play>Setup>Playback Devices, created a new configuration ("VDL"), and tried to activate Kontakt 5. But this is where the first discrepancy lies- in the README document from the ZipFile Template I just bought, under the "Type" column for Kontakt it says "MIDI", where as mine says "AU" (screenshots attached). When I tried to activate Kontakt 5, the "Type" still says AU and the "Sound Set" says "VSL Special Edition Plus", instead of "VDL Sound Set 7.0a". When I double-click the "Sound Set" bar, there is no option for "VDL Sound Set 7.0a", either. What did I do wrong that it is not coming up correctly?

Thank you, Tom

sizzlecrash

One error in my message- the type isn't supposed to say "MIDI", it's supposed to say "Kontakt".... which it doesn't. I think fixing this is the key, but I don't how to.

Hugh Smith

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum.

1) On Mac, the device Type you want to use for Kontakt Player 5 is "AU" (on Windows it's "VST", like the screen shot shows in the Readme). The image of your Playback Configuration looks correct - except for the sound set.

2) The sound set file, "VDL_SoundSet_7.0a.xml", needs to go into the Sounds folder. If the folder isn't there, create it yourself. This is why you're not seeing it in Sibelius yet.

Let me know how it goes.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

sizzlecrash

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the quick response!

1) My readme says "Kontakt", with screenshot attached. There is probably something I'm missing, though.

2) I think that it IS in the Sounds folder, but maybe you can tell me otherwsie (screenshot attached).

Thank you!

sizzlecrash

sorry, here is the other screenshot

Hugh Smith

1) My bad, I thought it read VST. (That was taken before Sibelius fixed the KP plugin support up properly.) Mac users should use the AU version.

2) The Sounds folder does not look to be in the correct location. It needs to be in the Sibelius User's folder, which is at: /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius 7/. Move what you have in the image to this location. So the final path would be /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/Avid/Sibelius 7/Sounds.

If Sibelius is open when you're moving stuff around, you'll need to restart it.
Hugh Smith

sizzlecrash

Ok. I guess I don't understand, because it really looks correct to me. Does it have to be zipped still, somehow? Here is where I have the file:

Hugh Smith

I attached an image of what it should look like - note the path at the bottom. The Sibelius User's folder also has other folders/files already in it (i.e. Ideas, Playback Configurations, etc).
Hugh Smith

sizzlecrash

Hmmmm... my Sibelius User's folder doesn't have other stuff in it. I've been searching for hours but I can't find another folder like it on my computer. Maybe I am destined to not use VDL. (not really).

Okay. So, what do I need to do to either find the correct folder or fix the one I have so that everything is in it's proper place? I can probably take this quest elsewhere if I am getting out of hand. Thanks so much for your help so far, though!

Hugh Smith

If you don't see the other items, then you're not looking at the Sibelius User's folder. The "Library" folder part of the path on Mac is hidden by default, so once you get that visible, you should be able to see the rest. I'm using non-standard Mac peripherals and such in my setup, so I'm not sure exactly what would help you at the moment - other than, maybe a Google search for "find user library folder mac" would get you headed in the right direction.

Even though this is starting to look more like a non-template issue, I'll do what I can to help you out.

Let me know if the above helps.
Hugh Smith

sizzlecrash

Great, thanks! I was able to find the "hidden" Library User's folder with the proper Sibelius files that you mentioned.  The "Sounds" folder wasn't there, so I made my own and dragged the .xml file into it. Then, I had Sibelius "rescan" under the Audio Options tab in the Playback Devices screen, restarted my computer, made a new configuration, added Kontakt 5, but the VDL sounds are *still* not available, even when I click the drop down bar for more options (shown in screenshot). Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong now?

Thanks so much,

Tom

Hugh Smith

Good. Looks like the sound set is in the right place.

Quote from: sizzlecrash on June 23, 2014, 04:16:02 PM
... but the VDL sounds are *still* not available, even when I click the drop down bar for more options (shown in screenshot). Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong now?

In the first image, the VDL sound set that ships with Sibelius is not in the drop down either. This tells me that Sibelius does not see VDL at all.

Try this: with KP5 in stand alone mode, remove VDL from the list (click on the gear icon). I don't know if you'd need to close KP5 and then reopen, or just click Add Library to add VDL back into the list. This should be the easiest way to get Sibelius to see VDL. (Can't remember the source of that tip.)

Let me know.

Hugh Smith

sizzlecrash

Ok. I tried taking out VDL from the Kontakt Library and then adding it back in but it still isn't showing up in Sibelius. How do I know if it is in stand-alone mode or not? I tried finding info online but I couldn't find any answers. Not sure if it is related but now my standard "Sibelius 7 Sounds" sound file the standard for almost all of my music- doesn't playback at all. This is a new development, so I imagine that the two situations are linked. Should I try uninstalling Sibelius and then re-installing it?

TBoliske

Stand Alone mode means that Kontakt is open outside of Sibelius. You would open Kontakt only rather than running it as a plug-in to Sibelius.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

Hugh Smith

Quote from: sizzlecrash on June 23, 2014, 11:04:46 PM
Ok. I tried taking out VDL from the Kontakt Library and then adding it back in but it still isn't showing up in Sibelius. How do I know if it is in stand-alone mode or not?

I attached an image of where KP5 is on my Mac. Otherwise, to add to what Ted said, inside Sibelius you would open Kontakt Player from the Playback Configuration dialog. (With the automation of the Template, this is rarely necessary.)

Quote from: sizzlecrash on June 23, 2014, 11:04:46 PM
Not sure if it is related but now my standard "Sibelius 7 Sounds" sound file the standard for almost all of my music- doesn't playback at all. This is a new development, so I imagine that the two situations are linked. Should I try uninstalling Sibelius and then re-installing it?

It shouldn't hurt to do a re-install.
Hugh Smith