Author
Topic: Sibelius 7.1 template

gbass598

I'm using the 7.1 template on a Macbook running 10.9.3 in Sibelius 7.1.3.

I'm having issues with my virtual drumline 2.5.5 auxiliary instruments. I have an instrument in the staff for wind chimes, yet when it plays back, it is triggering the sleigh bells. I'm not using the sleigh bells anywhere in the piece so I don't understand why this could be occurring.

Any thoughts?
Sibelius 7.1.3
VDL 2.5.5
Early 2011 MacBook Pro

Hugh Smith

Somewhere along the line you had a previous file open that did have sleigh bells - of which that patch didn't get overridden when Sibelius loaded the patches for the current file - and Sibelius is incorrectly using that slot/channel. Doing a Playback Configuration "reset" should take of it.

Option 1: Create a new (or switch to a different) configuration.
Option 2: Trash the "Playback Configurations" folder inside the Sibelius User's directory, then restart Sibelius. From there you'll need to recreate your configs. (Sibelius will recreate the defaults for you.)

I've seen on a few occasions where Sibelius will somehow end up with a (or multiple) corrupted playback configuration(s). Instead of trying to troubleshoot which one (or more) is bad, it's probably easier to just delete the config folder (option 2) and start over. It won't hurt anything to do so, other than a little time to set things back up again.

Let me know how it goes.
Hugh Smith

gbass598

I'll see about giving that a shot. After I made my original post I went back and tried the trigger test file. I had both files open at the same time and the trigger test played back fine while my other score was incorrect.

I just switched to using the double row chimes and it plays back fine. It probably won't hurt to reset it since I'm also encountering some strange playback on a suspended cymbal instrument change on the keyboards. It works once and then when I switch it back again a few measures later it won't playback.
Sibelius 7.1.3
VDL 2.5.5
Early 2011 MacBook Pro

Hugh Smith

Also make sure you have plenty of instances of VDL to handle all instruments and instrument changes.
Hugh Smith

gbass598

I've got 5 instances of kontakt open in the sound configuration.

I think I might need to do the delete and rebuild route. I've got other strange things happening too.

If I start a new score, the flutes and clarinets trill every note and in the score I'm working on, I have a suspended cymbal part that won't trigger in 2 specific measure with the instrument change even though the same sound works in multiple places throughout the piece.

Sibelius 7.1.3
VDL 2.5.5
Early 2011 MacBook Pro

Hugh Smith

Exactly which template(s) are you using?
Hugh Smith

gbass598

I'm using the sibelius 7 bundle template and I also created a brand new configuration setting to control the midi sounds. Virtually everything has fixed itself except for the fact that I do still tend to have an issue with the suspended cymbal sounds not triggering when I do an instrument change on my marimba and vibe voices.
Sibelius 7.1.3
VDL 2.5.5
Early 2011 MacBook Pro

Hugh Smith

Quote from: gbass598 on July 05, 2014, 10:57:23 PM
I'm using the sibelius 7 bundle template. ...

As in the S7S-VDL Bundle?

... I do still tend to have an issue with the suspended cymbal sounds not triggering when I do an instrument change on my marimba and vibe voices.

After you create the instrument change, move the Instrument Change's rectangular box to the left a couple of pixels.
Hugh Smith

gbass598

Quote from: Hugh Smith on July 07, 2014, 01:34:14 PM
I'm using the sibelius 7 bundle template. ...

As in the S7S-VDL Bundle?

Yes

... I do still tend to have an issue with the suspended cymbal sounds not triggering when I do an instrument change on my marimba and vibe voices.

After you create the instrument change, move the Instrument Change's rectangular box to the left a couple of pixels.

It seems to be something weird. Even if I start the staff on the cymbal instrument, it doesn't seem to want to play. I'm using the 7.1a bundle score and following the mapping of the note heads from the 7.0 maps. my rolls aren't playing back and the crashes will trigger when I manually click the note, it just doesn't trigger when I play back the score.
Sibelius 7.1.3
VDL 2.5.5
Early 2011 MacBook Pro

Hugh Smith

I still don't know exactly which templates you're using - there is no package labeled "7.1a bundle score".

Cymbal rolls require either a 2-slash or 4-slash tremolo for playback. And make sure you're using the mapping from the VDL_Maps_7.0a.pdf file, not the 7.0 file.

If that still doesn't seem to solve your problem, double check to see if the TriggerTest file does the same thing or not.
Hugh Smith