Author
Topic: Sibelius Score and VDL Template

jwalker

Hello all,

A friend of mine ask me to write a drum part for him and his program. He wrote it in Sibelius 6. I have Sibelius 7. I wrote the the drum part using the VDL template. I then tried to copy the drum parts in his score to show and hear what the playback should sound like and it sounded crazy. I figured out the problem. The problem was that Sibelius score and the VDL template wasn't playing well together.

So I open the VDL template and tried to copy the parts into the VDL template and use the Sibelius 7 sounds. But for what ever reason that is not working. When I try to copy and paste the time signature isn't right, notes aren't correct, nor are they able to be copied in.

Am I missing something? Can I not copy EVEYTHING from one score to the VDL score just as it is? Can I not copy the time signature, key signature, rehearsal markings ect... from one score to the VDL template and then put the drum parts in using the VDL template.

I hope I was able to explain my question correctly. Can some please advise?   

Hugh Smith

Quote from: jwalker on September 06, 2014, 08:58:38 PM
Can I not copy EVEYTHING from one score to the VDL score just as it is? Can I not copy the time signature, key signature, rehearsal markings ect... from one score to the VDL template and then put the drum parts in using the VDL template.

This heavily depends on the status of the file you're copying from. For the most part, no. The problem is Sibelius copies more than just what you see, it also copies House Style elements. If these elements are not exactly the same in both files to start with, Sibelius will override/change those elements as they come into the file being copied to.

Most people are able to copy/paste pitched instruments OK, but find it easier in the long run to re-input manually the unpitched.
Hugh Smith

jwalker

Thanks Hugh...

jwalker

One last question, If I upgrade to Sibelius 7.5 from 7.2.1 (or whatever the numbers are) do I have to buy anything else to make everything work? Will it be a easy transition, will I have to do anything different in the setup process? Just trying to ensure an easy transition...

Hugh Smith

Nope, the 7.5 setup should be the same as 7.1.3.
Hugh Smith