Author
Topic: Tenor-shots not souding

Indydrummer

My problem consists of tenor shots not being heard when I want to hear playback, as well as importing notes using midi keyboard within Sibelius, and using the mouse. Tenor-shots are heard when I hit the note using the midi keyboard within the Kontakt Player, but with Sibelius. All other notes work correctly. I'm using Tenorline-manual. I also upgraded to VDL 2.5.5 and Kontakt Player 5 as I saw in another forum could be the problem. But it still isn't working. (using 7.0a template)

Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Air
Sibelius 7.5
Virtual Drumline 2.5.5
Kontakt Player
Sibelius 7.0 Template

Hugh Smith

Does the TriggerTest file playback correctly?

Please attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration.
Hugh Smith

Indydrummer

Everything works on the trigger tests but the shots for the tenors. Anything with an x for a note head, doesn't work.

Indydrummer

Actually, no matter what tenor line I use, the rim shots aren't sounding. Notation is there, but sound is not.

MacBook Air
VDL 2.5.5
Kontakt Player 5
VDL Temp. 7.0a
Sibelius 7.5

Hugh Smith

Your Playback Configuration looks good.

It sounds like you aren't actually using the 2.5.5 Tenor patches. I had Jim program (add) the shots and rims to the lowest two octaves in Kontakt Player (so we could have more simultaneous sounds available). This is where they should be triggering from, and the old patches don't have those sounds down there. Exactly where are the shots (and rims) being triggered?

I attached an image to show what it should look like in Kontakt Player.

Anyway, my suggestion at this point is to review the instructions for updating VDL to 2.5.5 and give it another go - or at least the TenorLine patches.
Hugh Smith

Indydrummer

My Kontakt Player keyboard looks nothing like that as far where the shots are placed. I've also been using the midi keyboard that comes with Sibelius. Good idea, or bad?

Also, because I'm using a laptop, I don't have a keypad, (which I know will be easier with notation), but once I buy one, how do I get the notes to enter using the keypad? Meaning, will Sibelius recognize that I have one attached via USB, or do I need to mess with some settings somewhere?

I should probably redo the 2.5.5 upgrade installation?

Hugh Smith

You can use Sibelius' built-in keyboard. An external MIDI keyboard would be best case, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Sibelius should see a USB keypad just fine - it does on my laptop.

Yes, commence with a 2.5.5 re-install.

Oh, and even though you may not see blue keys below the red keyswitches, you should still see shots/rims being triggered down there.
Hugh Smith

Indydrummer

I actually just purchased a midi keyboard. Sibelius should recognize the keyboard as well, correct?

I understand what you're saying about the shots/rims should still be triggered when I hit the keys that SHOULD correspond with that, but that's not the case. So I will re-install the 2.5.5 an hopefully the outcome will be different!

Is there anything specific you may think I missed during the installment of the VDL upgrade that would fix this problem?

Hugh Smith

Quote from: Indydrummer on September 26, 2014, 12:35:02 PM
I actually just purchased a midi keyboard. Sibelius should recognize the keyboard as well, correct?

Yes. You may need to go into Preferences > Input Devices to tweak though. Make sure the keyboard is plugged in and on before opening Sibelius.

I understand what you're saying about the shots/rims should still be triggered when I hit the keys that SHOULD correspond with that, but that's not the case. So I will re-install the 2.5.5 an hopefully the outcome will be different!

The TriggerTest files didn't trigger the shots/rims down there even with the older patch files?

Is there anything specific you may think I missed during the installment of the VDL upgrade that would fix this problem?

Nothing comes to mind.
Hugh Smith

Indydrummer

I did a fresh install of VDL 2.5.5 and I followed the instructions to make sure it was installed correctly, and it doesn't say "Library version 2.5.5" like it should. I followed the pictures as well in the instructions and everything is correct. Not sure what to do or what is going on..

Hugh Smith

Attach some screen shots, maybe we'll see something there.

Have you talked to Tapspace specifically about the VDL part? I think once you get the library setup properly you'll be good to go.
Hugh Smith

Indydrummer

I have attached several screen shots for you to look at. Let me know if I'm missing something! Thank you for your help. I'd like to get this issue resolved before I continue writing.

Indydrummer

Quote from: Indydrummer on September 30, 2014, 08:51:30 AM
I have attached several screen shots for you to look at. Let me know if I'm missing something! Thank you for your help. I'd like to get this issue resolved before I continue writing.

Hugh Smith

Re: the first image, click the left-arrow button to slide the octaves up the viewable area. This will give you the view similar to the one I posted earlier. (See what I attached.)

I'm not seeing anything else at the moment.
Hugh Smith

Indydrummer

I'm not sure what is going on. I reinstalled again, nothing changed. Followed the instructions to check what version I was using, I don't even have that option to check that... I hit the octave button, attached are the results