Author
Topic: Toms not sounding on drum set

bobbyscottmusic

Hey everyone!

I am currently using Sibelius 7.5 and running VDL 2.5.5 with soundset 7.0a. I am writing a chart with a drum set and VDL Drumset (Manual) is the one I like the most, however, whenever I input a note into the score for a tom, it plays back as a rim knock. I have troubleshooted by trying different note heads and none of them seems to work. I have also tried out different drum kits, but the others do not sound how I would like this one to for this chart.

Any thoughts?

Bobby

Hugh Smith

Hi Bobby

Do the noteheads you're entering match the mapping diagrams in the Maps file? I believe Drumset Manual is on page 47.
Hugh Smith

bobbyscottmusic

Hugh,

To my knowledge they are. See below.

All the note heads representing toms are on note head (0).

Hugh Smith

Please send me the problem file and I'll take a look. (Sent you a PM.)
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

Hi Bobby, sorry for the delay, had a schedule change yesterday.

The file you sent me does not have any of the Template defined instruments in it. As in, the "- VDL Template 7.0a" ensemble is not there at all - I'm surprised things are working as well as they are. You'll need to select instruments from this ensemble to make use of the Template. (I've attached an image of what your Add Instruments dialog should look like.)

Ultimately, the issue with the Drumset you have in the score is that it has sound IDs that do not match what is in the VDL Template sound set. Of course, in the meantime, Sibelius is trying its best to "fallback" to what it thinks is the closest - you're seeing/hearing the result. Anyway ...

Please review the Readme PDF for working with the .sib template file - page 9 in particular. A Sibelius Manuscript Paper can also be generated by following the instructions in Appendix C: Export Manuscript Paper, page 24.

Also, please attach a screen shot of your Playback Configuration.

Once you get this sorted out, let me know how it goes from there.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

bobbyscottmusic

Hugh,

We are all good. Thank you so much for all of your help!

Bobby

Hugh Smith

Excellent! Have a great day!
Hugh Smith