Author
Topic: Can't Hear VDL sounds

drumlord87

I have purchaced and installed Virtual Drumline, but I can't seem to get any playback from it in Sibelius. I have the Kontakt player installed, as well as the Sound Set from "The Write Score" all installed and selected as my playback device and Sound Set. But there is no sound. I wonder if I have my library files in the wrong place, or if there is some other problem.

Hugh Smith

Hi Austin, welcome to the forum.

Please attach screen shots of your Playback Configuration, etc.

You said on the Sibelius Chat that VDL does play in stand-alone. That's good. So...

Do the TriggerTest files playback at all? There are some examples of this on this page (they're from an older version of the template, but the idea's the same).
Hugh Smith

drumlord87

No, there is nothing on the trigger test. But from what I am told, the trigger test can be unreliable.

drumlord87

I tried to follow the trigger test video, and when I had selected the VDL 2.5 as my sound set, but when I closed out the playback devices menu, it said that it couldn't find the file. Then Sibelius restarted itself.

Hugh Smith

Quote from: drumlord87 on March 21, 2015, 09:02:30 PM
... But from what I am told, the trigger test can be unreliable.

Who told you that? And otherwise what do you mean by "unreliable"?

Quote from: drumlord87 on March 21, 2015, 09:17:23 PM
I tried to follow the trigger test video, and when I had selected the VDL 2.5 as my sound set, but when I closed out the playback devices menu, it said that it couldn't find the file. Then Sibelius restarted itself.

Exactly which sound set did you select? (There is no sound set anywhere I know of labeled "VDL 2.5".) Either way, Sibelius shouldn't be restarting itself like that - may want to consider reinstalling Sibelius.

Oh, and you may want to look at getting ASIO4ALL going instead of using "Primary Sound Driver (DS)". Check out the Tapspace forum for more on this.
Hugh Smith

drumlord87

I thought that you were talking about just the small test button on the playback devices window. That is what was said to be unreliable. I will try reinstalling sibelius, see what happens.

Hugh Smith

Quote from: drumlord87 on March 22, 2015, 09:38:18 PM
I thought that you were talking about just the small test button on the playback devices window. That is what was said to be unreliable. I will try reinstalling sibelius, see what happens.

No, the TriggerTest files included in the package. They're designed to help you test your writing/playback environment. Please read up on those and use them, then let me know what you see.
Hugh Smith

drumlord87

I did, and still got no sounds. I almost have Sibelius re-installed. Will see what happens.

Hugh Smith

OK, let me know.
Hugh Smith

Bill

The VDL 2.5 soundset is the one that uses the VDL Lite sounds from Sibelius 6.