Author
Topic: Bass Unison Issue

nharbel

I'm having an issue with getting bass unisons to be placed in the correct location on the staff. According to the maps file, bass unisons (in the Below set) should place the note head on the 3rd line. However, every time I try to write a unison bass hit, it puts it lower on the staff. If I put it up where it should be I have dead space for sound. Any suggestions??
Dell Studio 17 Laptop - Intel i7 1.73 GHz, 8 GB RAM
MS Win 7 64-bit
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5.5
Ableton Live 8
M-Audio Prokeys 88 keyboard

Hugh Smith

Which Template and exactly which instrument are you using?
Hugh Smith

nharbel

My apologies. Providing that information would have made too much sense. :) I'm using the latest templates for Sibelius and VDL. I just got them this week finally. Specifically, I'm using the S7S template and marching bass drums.
MS Win 7 64-bit
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5.5
Ableton Live 8

Hugh Smith

Are you trying to use the S7S Template with VDL? Do you have the VDL Template also (perhaps in the S7S-VDL Bundle)?
Hugh Smith

nharbel

Yes to both questions.
MS Win 7 64-bit
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5.5
Ableton Live 8

Hugh Smith

OK, so you do have the S7S-VDL Bundle - excellent!

For your bass drum instrument are you wanting the sounds from VDL or S7S? This will make a difference in the instrument you choose to have in the score.

Since you have VDL, I recommend you use the marching percussion instruments from there, you'll have way more options for sounds and notation over what's available in the S7S library. If you haven't yet, compare the mapping diagrams from each Maps file and you'll see what I mean.
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

Quote from: nharbel on May 06, 2015, 11:00:40 AM
I'm having an issue with getting bass unisons to be placed in the correct location on the staff. According to the maps file, bass unisons (in the Below set) should place the note head on the 3rd line. However, every time I try to write a unison bass hit, it puts it lower on the staff. If I put it up where it should be I have dead space for sound. Any suggestions??

I'm looking at the diagram in the S7S Maps file for "Marching Bass Drums (Below) (RR)" and it shows the unison hits/rolls to be centered on the center/3rd line. Are you sure you have the correct correlating instrument in the score?
Hugh Smith

nharbel

I switched to using the VDL template and just added in the horns I needed. That seems to have done the trick for now. I'm still not sure what the issue was with using the S7S template. Now for another seemingly dumb question... what is the benefit/need/practical use of the S7S template if I can just add horns to the VDL template and get what seems to be the same result?? Also, are the maps for the templates different from the maps that VDL supplies with its library?
MS Win 7 64-bit
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5.5
Ableton Live 8

Hugh Smith

Quote from: nharbel on May 28, 2015, 07:52:02 AM
I switched to using the VDL template and just added in the horns I needed. That seems to have done the trick for now.

Are you not using the Bundle? With both the S7S and VDL instrument definitions in it?

I'm still not sure what the issue was with using the S7S template.

Send me the file with the problem so I can take a look. (Sent you a PM.)

Now for another seemingly dumb question... what is the benefit/need/practical use of the S7S template if I can just add horns to the VDL template and get what seems to be the same result??

Well, the S7S percussion mapping for one. And all the other instrument definitions are setup a certain way. The main difference is the unique sound IDs I use. This helps to alleviate Mixer confusion when Sibelius loads patches and keeps you from having to go there to tweak things. Sibelius' SoundWorld is pretty cool - especially when using specificity.

Again, if you're having trouble with something, let me know and send me a problem file so I can fix potential Template issues.

Also, are the maps for the templates different from the maps that VDL supplies with its library?

There are a few Input Maps that are different than their corresponding trigger layouts.
Hugh Smith

nharbel

I wasn't using the bundle. I wasn't aware that's what it was as I didn't open the file in Sibelius. Now that I know, I shall try it next.

I'll send you the problem file soon. Hopefully you can figure out where I screwed up.

Can you tell me which maps are different? Old habits die hard, so until I have to learn a new map I'd prefer to avoid it.

I know that the VDL template is good for percussion specific things such as exercise books, street beats, percussion ensemble works, etc. However, I don't know what the bundle and S7S templates are good for. Can you give me some specific examples of where those templates are most advantageous? Thanks!!!
MS Win 7 64-bit
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5.5
Ableton Live 8

Hugh Smith

Quote from: nharbel on May 28, 2015, 10:05:57 PM
I know that the VDL template is good for percussion specific things such as exercise books, street beats, percussion ensemble works, etc. However, I don't know what the bundle and S7S templates are good for. Can you give me some specific examples of where those templates are most advantageous? Thanks!!!

The same way as the VDL part - all template instrument definitions are designed to work with its specifically corresponding library patch. All pertinent Dictionary items have been defined for you also.

You may want to review both the S7S and VDL Maps files for more (a lot more) information on how each instrument is setup.

Quote from: nharbel on May 28, 2015, 10:05:57 PM
Can you tell me which maps are different? Old habits die hard, so until I have to learn a new map I'd prefer to avoid it.

I don't know off hand. Once you get to using the Maps files on a regular basis, I don't see any reason why you should need to reference the trigger layouts (Kontakt Player and/or Sibelius Player sounds layouts).

You're also going to want to use the Maps files instead of any library layout maps because of all the Template related information: note head numbers, Input Variables, etc.
Hugh Smith