Author
Topic: Change of Instruments Entry & Playback Questions

nharbel

I'm writing the percussion music for our marching show this year. I have our very tiny battery on drums for the 1st and 3rd movements of the show. For the second movement I want to switch instruments for all of them and have them up front playing hand drums, cymbals, etc. My questions are as follows: 1. How do I add 4 other instruments to the score in place of the bass drum line for only the second movement? 2. How do I get the template to allow for the correct input mapping of the new instruments and then switch back at the appropriate location in the music? 3. How do I get it all to play back correctly? Meaning that one part is snare drum, switches to hi-hat, and then back to snare again and those instruments are what I hear.
Dell Studio 17 Laptop - Intel i7 1.73 GHz, 8 GB RAM
MS Win 7 64-bit
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5.5
Ableton Live 8
M-Audio Prokeys 88 keyboard

Hugh Smith

Just use Instrument Changes. Read up on it in the Sibelius Users Guide if you're not familiar with 'em.
Hugh Smith

nharbel

Sibelius directions have been read and followed. I still can't seem to get the instruments to enter or play back properly. When I use the keys as assigned in the maps I get different sounds, noteheads, and notehead locations. Any suggestions?
MS Win 7 64-bit
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5.5
Ableton Live 8

nharbel

I have discovered the specific problem with the sounds. I will do my best to explain and maybe someone can figure out how to fix it. For one part I have the player on marching snare for mvmt. 1, then it switches to hi-hat for mvmt. 2, and it goes back to marching snare for mvmt. 3. The score is written as one long piece with double bar lines and text stating the beginning of each movement. With the mixer open I discovered that the sounds are fine for the 1st and 3rd mvmts, but when the instrument change happens the entire mixer changes to "unallocated" for the sound libraries when I try to enter notes using my M-audio Keystation 88es. I need to get this corrected today if at all possible. I'm already way past my deadline for getting music into kids hands. Thanks.
MS Win 7 64-bit
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5.5
Ableton Live 8

Hugh Smith

Hi Neil

I got it to work. As I suspected (though I temporarily forgot), all you need to do is move the Instrument Change rectangle to the left a bit. This is a known Sibelius "bug" and seems to only effect unpitched percussion. I sent my modified score back to you. Bars 40-41+ shows what I did.

I also noticed that the Congas Manual and Hi Hat Manual have corrupted mappings (Sibelius added some stuff I wish it wouldn't). I suppose I should see if I can put a quick video together showing how to clean that up - if I can find the time. Until then, you shouldn't have any input or playback problems with either of those instruments since there are no real inputs mapped to F#1.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

nharbel

Thank you!!! I appreciate all your help! That did the trick and now I know what to do in the future. :)
MS Win 7 64-bit
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5.5
Ableton Live 8

Hugh Smith

Excellent!
Hugh Smith