Author
Topic: exporting VDL from Sibelius into Finale 2014

johngeorgeson

How can I import a file from Sibelius into Finale 2014? Both of us have VDL, both use the same WriteScore templates. But when I open an XML file from him, all the drum notes are MIDI # 58, so I can't get it to sound correct. It sounds great from his machine.

TBoliske

It's possible that something in the xml file is corrupt. Having all of the non-pitched percussion notes to the same midi number is a clue. It may also have to do with how the sib file is saved/exported to xml.

When you say you're both using the same Write Score templates, what do you mean exactly? There are templates for Finale and Sibelius. Each has different systems for percussion layout, mapping, and playback with regards to VDL.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

Hugh Smith

I do not know of a simple/easy way. I've heard of people doing it, but with much tweaking.

Yeah, I don't know what you mean by "same templates" either. Please elaborate on the scenarios.
Hugh Smith

Bill

Notehead numbers are not the same from Sibelius to Finale so while you should be able to get a clean import of the XML file, you'll still have to spend time changing notehead numbers to the correct noteheads.