Author
Topic: Lost titles, part names, and other important information on VDL Template

Drumguy123

Hello, friends!

My issue is that whenever I open my VDL templates to write music on finale, all the information I type in about the file gets lost every time I open a score for the first time.  On Finale, when I use the setup wizard my titles and part names are all there, but that's not the case with the VDL template.  It could be that I set it up incorrectly, but whatever it is needs to be resolved ASAP so I can get this percussion music to the school I'm writing for!  I simply don't have enough time to manually type in the titles and part names using the text tool for over 20 parts plus the full score.  I've tried and it just turns into a hot mess.  Please help me resolve this!

I'm using Finale 2012, by the way.  If you need any other specific technical information to answer this, I will get that information to you right away.  If this can't be solved with the Write Score, is there another way I just haven't figured out that reattaches the information I need?

Thanks,

Sean

TBoliske

To resolve this problem open your score, then

open the Score Manager and verify that all text items you wish visible have been entered in the File Info tab
once all text is entered, switch your score to Page View
using the Text Tool, move your cursor to the area on the page where you want the specific items placed
double click then
from the Text Menu select Inserts then the specific item

After this you are able to move the items around.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

Drumguy123

Ted,

Thanks for the quick reply!

This method works, but when I go to edit the individual parts, the title is huge and placed very randomly on the page instead of centered at the top.  I have tried decreasing the font in the individual parts and manually fixing the location of the title, but the changed font shows up in the score as well, making it look really tiny.  What is the solution to that?  There must be an easier way for fixing the individual parts without messing up the full score.

TBoliske

Everything you need to adjust the text may be found in the Text Tool menu. Look specifically at the Alignment options. Any changes you make in the score should appear in the individual parts. To verify that the changes appear correctly in the parts use the Document menu > Manage Parts. This also where you would need to look to adjust the measure and system layouts for the individual parts, if needed.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths