Author
Topic: VDL XML files not recognized after TWS install

GeneUAB

I seem to have the same issue that many others have, but none of the solutions are working for me. I'm unable to get the new MIDI maps to work correctly in Finale 2014. Everything was installed in the correct folder on my hard drive, under Score Manager the Perc MIDI map is correct (VDL255 Rack Combo A) and under Percussion>Settings the Rack Combo A is selected (although it reads VDL2.5). MIDI playback sounds for VDL are correct, channels are correct for the Kontakt player, and battery maps are correct. New templates (from download) are recognized.

Thanks in advance for any insight...

Gene F
Finale 2014
VDL 2.5.5
Kontakt 5
Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

TBoliske

Gene,

There was an issue with how the entire package was zipped up for download. Contact TWS and they will help in getting you a fixed copy of the XML files. If you've already done this, make certain that you are looking at the updated XML files and not the originals. As for the Rack Combo saying VDL2.5 for the layout, that is because that is the most recent version of that instrument. In both the 2.5.2 and 2.5.5 updates there were no changes made to many of the instruments.

Report back if you continue to have issues or additional questions.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

The Write Score

Ted, Gene purchased yesterday, so he has the most recent package. However, since downloading a file off of the internet is not a "perfect every time" event, we did suggest he try downloading again, but maybe using a different browser.

Gene, please report back if you see discrepancies if/after doing file compares.

TBoliske

Thanks for the verification. After posting my response, I thought about when did the download occur.
Ted Boliske

GeneUAB

Downloaded again with different browser (used Safari first, then Chrome today), still no luck.

Additional info - when I checked the TWS ensemble templates included in the download (as suggested in the Forum), the Rack Combo notation was working correctly. I then attempted to adjust this score for the instruments I need, and after doing so the battery instruments are not mapping correctly (Rack Combo is still fine, though). Reloaded the new library as well.

If it helps, this is a brand new work computer, and I switched from PC to mac. I also used the opportunity to update to Finale 2014, as well as to VDL 2.5.5. The only "holdover" is the score I'm writing on was a template from the past versions. Battery is mapping correctly on this older template, though.

TBoliske

Gene,

OK, so the Rack Combo is working as it should be. Is that correct?

The issue with the Battery maps probably lies in when your original template was created. There were some additions to the SnareLine and BassLine instruments. What specifically are you seeing with the Battery instrument mappings?
Ted Boliske