Author
Topic: template question

sculptera

Good afternoon,

Im new to the Sibelius and virtual instrument world. I apologize, this may be a ramble at first. I recently got Sibelius 7/Kontakt 5 and Sample Logic's VET. I noticed that after selecting the instruments I want in Kontakt, Sibelius will play the sounds back using the 'Test' function in the setup and everything works fine in the sampler.

However, the templates they provide, don't have an XML soundset that functions with Kontakt 5. Furthermore, the score template only has sound playback from certain listed instruments, however playback functions. (For example, Im writing a snare sample on the Timpani staff)
does this sound like a template/mapping issue?

Would the template for virtual drumline work with this library? If so, how would I go about converting the VDL mapping to Sample Logic VET/Rumble? I really like the sound of Rumble/VET's snare's.

Thank you in advance!

Hugh Smith

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Hmm... I hadn't heard of their VET library. Looks like a decent price point too.

Exactly what do they provide for a Sibelius template? You say no sound set file, so is it just some instruments defined in a .sib file?

If the sound set and/or custom instruments have not been defined specifically for the library - as those two things work together - you would need to do that all yourself (not exactly a simple task). Or ...

I would have to do some research to see if it would be worth my time to produce a template/sound set for VET.

Quote from: sculptera on August 24, 2015, 11:59:12 AM
Would the template for virtual drumline work with this library? If so, how would I go about converting the VDL mapping to Sample Logic VET/Rumble? I really like the sound of Rumble/VET's snare's.

You could use the VDL Template instruments as a starting point to mapping VET instruments, but your first issue would be the lack of sound set. Getting that hammered out would be the first task before any .sib instruments could be made.
Hugh Smith

sculptera

Hi Hugh!

Thank you so much for the response. Yes, the price point is very nice and the sounds are incredible, however the lack of support from their side puts me off. Tapspace has excellent support, but Im not a huge fan of the reverb sound on the samples. I love the crispness of the snare samples, as well as the brass!

The thing I find interesting is that they mention 'seamless' integration within Sib 7, but the XML they use mentions this from their site:

In order to use the soundset XML file you must own Sibelius version 6.2 or higher.
Kontakt 5 currently does not work at all with the XML soundset, but can be used within Sibelius with out the soundset.

To use the XML soundset you need Kontakt 4.2.3.
- See more at: http://www.samplelogic.com/support#sthash.7l1UAYNX.dpuf

Im not sure if the reasoning is laziness in updating the XML, or really there is a technical issue. The documentation is very sparse and does not mention any Sibelius 7 setup, only where to place the soundset that is non-functional.

For me to use the product currently, I have to use manual sound mapping and using their custom score template. However, I noticed the snare sounds for example, will not play unless its written on the Timpani staff.

I would definitely purchase the VDL template if it wouldnt be a monumental task to change over to the VET/Rumble drum samples.
The other interesting point is that others seem to be composing using the library on Sibelius, however I can't figure out what they are doing to use it correctly since my knowledge of Sibelius and mapping is very limited.

I would be happy to help in anything you need to get this to work. Im sure others are running into the same thing.
Thank you so much!!

Hugh Smith

All the sound sets I'm using are good in Kontakt Player 4 or 5. Not sure what's going on in theirs.

Quote from: sculptera on August 25, 2015, 04:47:42 PM
... Tapspace has excellent support, but Im not a huge fan of the reverb sound on the samples.

Have you tried playing with any of the settings?

I would definitely purchase the VDL template if it wouldnt be a monumental task to change over to the VET/Rumble drum samples.
The other interesting point is that others seem to be composing using the library on Sibelius, however I can't figure out what they are doing to use it correctly since my knowledge of Sibelius and mapping is very limited.

Again, the sound set would need to be fixed before mapping anything.

I would be happy to help in anything you need to get this to work. Im sure others are running into the same thing.

I don't have any time frames, but I'll see what I can find out.

Hugh
Hugh Smith

sculptera

Thank you, Hugh!

Ive contacted Sample Logic several times with no response. Im starting to think this is an uphill battle.
I have no idea why they'd claim seamless integration with Sib 7 when the XML doesnt work with Kontakt 5.
Anyhow, thats another story. :)

Bill

I just read over their support page and some other pages on the Sample Logic site.

It appears, with VET at least, that they are woefully behind in updating their files.  Does Kontakt 4 even work with Sibelius 7?  I've been using K5 and Sibelius 7 for so long now that I honestly don't remember.

With my limited use of VET, the thing I've discovered is that they appear to have not been designed with notation in mind, but rather with triggering and sound design in mind.  Sadly, most sound libraries primary focus is DAW's and not notation as the people using the higher end libraries are working primarily in DAW's.

I'm not a fan of the VET sounds at all and find that they don't have enough of the sounds that I'm looking for.  I'm also not a fan of battery instruments recorded completely indoors.  But that's just me.

Hugh Smith

Quote from: Bill on September 06, 2015, 09:50:22 AM
Does Kontakt 4 even work with Sibelius 7?

Yes.

Quote from: Bill on September 06, 2015, 09:50:22 AM
... they appear to have not been designed with notation in mind, but rather with triggering and sound design.

That was my impression back when Rumble and Fanfare first came out - quite a few samples that seemed to be superfluous from a notation standpoint.

As far as the actual sounds go, I have not heard them enough to have an opinion.
Hugh Smith

sculptera

I have to say, VDL is really looking like a better option. Considering I haven't used it, can the snare sound be tweaked to be 'tighter' and more 'crisp'? I know the sounds were recorded back in the day from SCV, and drum equipment has certainly changed. I personally use a Remo Black Max kevlar head on my snare, but the sounds from the Evans heads are starting to sound good. If I could put some tweaking on the sounds to almost 'tune' the drums, that would be superb.

Given the fact that VDL has been designed with notation and arranging in mind, has so many sounds at a great price, and you folks have designed such a nice template, I may end up going that route.

Hugh Smith

Quote from: sculptera on September 10, 2015, 07:23:26 PM
... and you folks have designed such a nice template, ...

Yes, yes we have. ;D
Hugh Smith

Bill

Quote from: sculptera on September 10, 2015, 07:23:26 PM
I have to say, VDL is really looking like a better option. Considering I haven't used it, can the snare sound be tweaked to be 'tighter' and more 'crisp'? I know the sounds were recorded back in the day from SCV, and drum equipment has certainly changed. I personally use a Remo Black Max kevlar head on my snare, but the sounds from the Evans heads are starting to sound good. If I could put some tweaking on the sounds to almost 'tune' the drums, that would be superb.

Given the fact that VDL has been designed with notation and arranging in mind, has so many sounds at a great price, and you folks have designed such a nice template, I may end up going that route.

You can tweak the tuning knob in Kontakt, but if you go too far one way or the other, the sound will become very synthetic sounding.  Also, adjusting the tuning knob adjusts all sounds, not specific sounds.

iyaron

Hi
I am new to this forum . Not clear if you create templates for Sibelius 7.1 (with 7.5 library) installed on my MacPro to be playing virtual instruments on a dedicated PC that has EW Symphonic Library that is hosted in VEPro5
Do you have instructions how to set a playback in Sibelius that way? any tutorials.
pelase help.
itzhak

TBoliske

The Write Score creates templates for using VDL with both Sibelius and Finale. Templates for other sound libraries have not yet been developed.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

The Write Score

We have complete template support for these sample libraries:

Sibelius Essentials v6, labeled 'SE6' in product pages - for Sibelius 6+
Sibelius 7 Sounds, labeled 'S7S' in product pages - for Sibelius 7+
Virtual Drumline, labeled 'VDL' in product pages - for Sibelius 5+ and Finale 2009+

Be sure to note the system and software requirements for each template version.

Quote from: iyaron on March 28, 2016, 05:46:08 PM
Not clear if you create templates for Sibelius 7.1 (with 7.5 library) installed on my MacPro to be playing virtual instruments on a dedicated PC that has EW Symphonic Library that is hosted in VEPro5
Do you have instructions how to set a playback in Sibelius that way?

We currently do not have any tutorials for working with libraries we don't already provide templates for.