Author
Topic: Tenor cross/sweep/scrap note head change

scurra

I'm using Finale 2014, VDL255, and matching template from this site. I'm using manual tenor line VDL instrument, and manually selecting the correct note (L hit or R hit), and adding a sticking accent (R or L) below note.

Everything is working well, except today my tenors complained about notation used for sweeps. I was using an "+" accent to avoid having to modify the notehead to a (x) or similar. Well tonight I just started messing around with changing the noteheads for these few notes and nothing is working correctly.

I tried the "Change Noteheads" plug-in which removed the noteheads all together. I tested on a new score (without using this template) and it worked fine. So something in this template is messing up the plug-in.

I tried to use Utilities\Change\Noteheads... which did the same thing. I also test on new score that wasn't using this template, and it too worked fine. So it appears the template is blocking the use of the "(x)" shape.

Update: Just attached example of what happens in template.

What is everyone else doing as a workaround?

TBoliske

I will take a look at the templates to see if they are the issue or in fact what might be causing the issue. For my own writing, I use a slur to indicate sweeps and an X above or on the stem to indicate crossovers.

If I had to venture a guess as to the 'cause', it is related to the percussion layout maps. These layouts specify which notehead is used for the various drums and effects and the corresponding staff placement.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

TBoliske

After doing some testing, the issues involves using the Change Notehead plug-in. This plug-in, presuming you selected Custom Noteheads, uses the Finale Maestro font. The default for percussion staves is the Finale Maestro Percussion Font.

To achieve the results you want it means using the Special Tools Tool and selecting the 2nd tool in the left column, the one with the * notehead.

Once this tool has been selected, click inside the measure where the notehead changes will occur.

Double click the selection box that appears for all noteheads.

Finally, a dialog box appears allowing you to select or create the new notehead using the Meastro Percussion Font.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths