Author
Topic: More Finale 14 and Windows 10 trouble, please help!

superfen

I am starting to get pretty frustrated as I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  I had Finale 2011 and VDL 2.5 for a number of years and everything was working great.  Then, my computer started failing, so it was time for a new machine.  I got a brand new HP Envy, with the core i7 and running windows 10.  I went ahead and upgraded my Finale to 2014, and because I couldn't locate my VDL cd (and had never registered it) I bought a brand new downloadable version.  I also just purchased the Finale 2014 templates from TWS, as well as downloaded Kontakt 5.  After all this, it is as if I had no additional products to Finale.  Here is what I have done:

-Download and Install Finale 2014
-Download VDL 2.55
-Download 2014 Templates From the Write Score
-Download and Install Kontakt 5
-Load VDL into Kontakt, and activate.
-Check "show hidden folders" in File Explorer to see all the folders I need to access
-Place the new Library in the Libraries folder
-place the correct files in the MDI Device Annotation Folder
-place the VDL templates in the Finale Templates folder
-place the Kontakt 5.dll file (as well as the 8 & 16out versions) in the VST Support folder (64 bit, also tried 32)
-exit all programs and restart computer

Results: 
From the Finale launch window, I am able to find the VDL templates to load.  The correct staves do appear.  BUT...every line and space says "custom" when trying to place a note, instead of what is supposed to be there (i.e. Low Tom RH, etc.).  Then, when I do place a note in the staff, a window appears warning me that sounds have not been assigned.  Ive tried clicking both yes and no when asked if I would like them to be assigned, to no avail.  Then, when I try to see what is trying to play the sounds (unsuccessfully), Kontakt is not a source choice, just Aria and Garritan sounds. 

I have started a thread on the Tapspace forum, and Jim was super nice over there and tried to help out as best he could, but I'm still dead in the water – and have some writing and arranging beginning to pile up.  I'm gonna have to go old school and break out the pencil and paper soon...crazy that I have all of this technology (and spent a ton of money) and can't get things working :/
Anybody have any suggestions?  They would be greatly appreciated!

TBoliske

Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of town since Wednesday. This is my first opportunity to check forums.

1. I, like Jim, have no experience with Windows 10.

2. Because Kontakt is not available as a playback source, I would first suggest checking the Finale Knowledge Base. This should point you in the direction for making certain that the .dll file is in the correct location. It should also help to verify that the versions you have installed (32-bit/64-bit) are the correct versions for your copy of Finale, Kontakt, and Windows 10.

3. "Custom name" is the easy problem to solve, or at least it should be. You must set the Percussion MIDI Map assignments first, then the Percussion Layouts. Both of these are done within the Score Manager. This is a set up that has not changed since Finale 2010.

4. The "no sounds assigned" message is a result of not having set a playback device. Because you are unable to find Kontakt, you can't assign that device or load the VDL instruments. This should not cause issues with writing. It will however keep you from hearing both playback and the sounds as you enter notes.

When I get the opportunity on Tuesday to peruse the Finale and NI KBs, I'll have more information.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

TBoliske

This is from the Finale Knowledge Base:

Kontakt Libraries

I am using Finale 2011 and later.

1. Close Finale. Copy the Kontaktx.dll file from the following folder:
       Windows XP: C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt x\VSTPlugins
       Windows Vista/7 C:\Programs\Native Instruments\Kontakt x\VSTPlugins

2. Paste the Kontaktx.dll file to the following folder:
       Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data*\MakeMusic\Finale 201x\VST Support
       Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[your account]\AppData*\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 201x\VST Support
   *This is a hidden folder. To show hidden files and folders, go to the Explorer's Tools Menu (XP) or the Organize Menu (Vista/7), Folder and

3. Search Options, the View tab, and Show hidden files and folders.

4. The full Kontakt VST/AU should now be available as a playback device under MIDI/Audio Menu > Instrument Setup > VST/AU Instruments.

Verify that the Kontakt_.dll file is in this location.

There is also this:

Tapspace Virtual Drumline 2.5

I am using Finale 2011 and later.

1. Close Finale. Copy the KontaktPlayerx.dll file from the following folder:
        Windows XP: C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Kontakt Player x\VSTPlugins
        Windows Vista/7 C:\Programs\Native Instruments\Kontakt Player x\VSTPlugins

2. Paste the KontaktPlayerx.dll file to the following folder:
        Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data*\MakeMusic\Finale 201x\VST Support
        Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\[your account]\AppData*\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 201x\VST Support

3. *This is a hidden folder. To show hidden files and folders, go to the Explorer's Tools Menu (XP) or the Organize Menu (Vista/7),
        Folder and Search Options, the View tab, and Show hidden files and folders.

4. Virtual Drumline 2.5 should now be available as a playback device under MIDI/Audio Menu > Instrument Setup > VST/AU Instruments > Finale Bank > Kontakt Player x

Says the same basic thing.

Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths