Author
Topic: Snare sounds disappeared

nedelmann94

I recently bought the template for Finale 2010b, and I set everything up like in the document, but when I went to edit the MIDI Map, none of the maps appeared, so I clicked "New" and added the Snareline one, and it said that it already existed and asked if I wanted to replace it. I clicked yes, and now there is nothing in the Map for Snareline. I've restarted the computer, the program, and recopied all of the files. Can anyone else me with this?

TBoliske

I need more information.

Which map did you delete, the Percussion MIDI Map or the Percussion Layout Map? Why were you editing the map in question?

If you deleted the layout, you should be able to open another blank template file. The layouts should be there.

If you deleted the percussion midi map, the xml file, then copy the missing files back to the correct location, restart, and open a blank template. The xml files should be visible now.
Ted Boliske

Mac OS 10.12, 10.14, 10.15, Win7, Win10
VDL2.5.5, Finale 2010-14.5, Finale 25-27
Kontakt 4-6, various other soft synths

nedelmann94

I haven't actually deleted anything.

Where it says MIDI Device: none of the VDL ones were showing up, so I clicked new and uploaded VDL Snareline.xml, and now all of the note types have disappeared.

TBoliske

There is no need to edit these files. They make the connection between the VDL sounds and Finale. This connection includes the mapping of sounds to the various midi notes as defined by VDL and the note names for use with Finale.

I'm not sure why you would want to edit these in the first place.
Ted Boliske

nedelmann94

Maybe I misread the tutorial, but it looked as if it were telling me to make the percussion maps and to set those to certain staves?

TBoliske

You've misread the ReadMe documentation. I would suggest that you begin with reviewing the Finale tutorials on the Score Manager. There is no need to edit the Percussion MIDI Maps. You will need to assign those maps to the correct staves within the Score Manager. Likewise, you will need to make certain that the corresponding Percussion Layouts are assigned to the correct staves. THis is also done through the Score Manager.
Ted Boliske