Author
Topic: Mapping Issues with Unpitched Instruments

Kanderson

You can tell by my post count that I'm new around here, but I've been using Sibelius and VDL for a LONG time.  I've searched the forums but I don't believe I've found a specific solution to my problem.  If it's already been addressed, please direct me to that thread.

Recently I upgraded to SIb7.5 and just purchased the VDL template yesterday.  I have the sound set installed and activated in my playback configuration, however I'm noticing what I believe to be mapping issues in my unpitched instruments.  For example, in the bass drum excerpt posted below, bass 3 and 4 are triggering the same sound (both sound as bass 3).  This is the Bass Line (Manual) instrument.  I've also noticed in the BD/Tam Tam combo that all gong hits and bass hits are triggering the same sound, regardless of input pitch.  And in the snare instrument (snare line manual) I no longer have crescendo/decrescendo buzzes available via different pitches.

I'm using a midi keyboard for note entry. And to eliminate other possibilities, this was done with a clean template.  I simply opened the template, added the bass drum manual instrument, and the problem was still there. I've attached screen shots of the bass drum excerpt and my playback configuration.  I apologize in advance if this is something simple I should be aware.  Thanks for the help.
iMac 27" (Late 2013)
3.2 Ghz Intel Core i5
8gb RAM
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5

Hugh Smith

Do the TriggerTest files exhibit similar behavior?

Please send me the file. (Sent you a PM.)
Hugh Smith

Kanderson

Thanks, Hugh.  The file has been set.

Update - while the trigger file appears to be working properly, when I input notes at the end to do a test that input pitch is matching what's mapped, it repeats the error.  When I click the appropriate (already written) note, I get the correct sound.  When I input that pitch myself via the midi keyboard, the correct sounds do not trigger.  (I really hope that made sense.)  :)
iMac 27" (Late 2013)
3.2 Ghz Intel Core i5
8gb RAM
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5

Hugh Smith

Hmm... could be a keyboard issue. I'll look at the file later today.
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

The file behaved for me as it should with just VDL. But when I added Sibelius Player and the Sibelius 6 Essentials sound set, it, Sibelius, didn't get the correct bits in the Mixer. So...

Double check in the Mixer that the BassLine instrument is using Kontakt, as opposed to Sibelius Player. Sometimes - I think just on Mac - Sibelius doesn't work like it's supposed to in automatically selecting the correct playback device.
Hugh Smith

Kanderson

Hugh I believe you're right.  I think I'm getting to the root of the problem.  The issue appears to be the correct playback device.  After checking the mixer, the bass line instrument was being triggered in Sibelius Sounds, not Kontakt.  Once I fixed that, it worked fine.

So I went back to the indoor score I'm working on, and while it's better, it's not 100%. When attempting an instrument change from Metal Combo to BD/Tam Tam, the only sounds I get are a generic crash and generic tom sound.  I can get the correct sounds if I create an entirely new instrument and manually select the BD/TamTam as the instrument in the mixer panel.  Once that's chosen, I can hear the correct sounds being triggered appropriately.  And the correct sounds remain that way even after switching the instrument back to (Auto).  

So I'm quite certain it's something in how Sibelius is assigning instruments, but I don't know how to fix it and keep it fixed, without manually changing the instrument in the mixer.  And that still wouldn't alleviate the instrument change issue.

EDIT - I've got 4 instances of Kontakt and once instance of Sibelius Sounds loaded in the playback config.

iMac 27" (Late 2013)
3.2 Ghz Intel Core i5
8gb RAM
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5

Hugh Smith

Send me the file with all the other stuff in it, your indoor score.
Hugh Smith

Hugh Smith

Hi Keith

The second file you sent me is not based on the latest Template - it's using VDL Template 6.0 (see attached image). Swap everything over to 7.0a and see how it goes.

Do NOT copy/paste - re-input new.
Hugh Smith

Kanderson

Ah, will do.  I copied/pasted from the old template to the new.  Will re-input and get back to you.

Thanks.
iMac 27" (Late 2013)
3.2 Ghz Intel Core i5
8gb RAM
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5

Kanderson

Looks like that's doing the trick, Hugh.  Thanks so much!
iMac 27" (Late 2013)
3.2 Ghz Intel Core i5
8gb RAM
Sibelius 7.5
VDL 2.5

Hugh Smith

Outstanding!
Hugh Smith